Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Columbus Day and Symphony

Had a wonderful couple of days here at Ayers Academy. I was able to take my two favorite big kids to hear the symphony today. What a treat!

Sept 2011 143

They know the names of all of the instruments and their groups (woodwinds,percussion, etc) because of Baby Einstein's Meet the Orchestra that Tucker watches. You never know where kids will pick up knowledge- even from little brother and his things.

Sept 2011 142

We got there early and sat on the front row- VERY close- close enough that I could read the sheet music as they played...

Sept 2011 134

They played Barber of Seville, two pieces from Swan Lake, the Magician's Apprentice, Sleeping Beauty's waltz and the theme from Superman. We all loved Swan Lake best- it almost made me cry with the emotional swells.

Sept 2011 133

Sept 2011 135

Tucker and Charlie were with a babysitter. I picked them up, grabbed some lunch, and then headed to the big kids' science classes- Julia made a volcano and studied states of matter, Marky made slime and studied bacteria and germs. I had the pleasure of taking my little guys around- and spending lots of happy time with my happiest-go-luckiest toddler Tuck Tuck.

Sept 2011 136

Sept 2011 137

Tucker said, "stop pushing the 6- I want to push this NINE! It's 9 dollars!" The other kid had no idea what he was talking about- I mean, aren't we supposed to be babies? You are in diapers right?

Sept 2011 138

Sept 2011 139

We did celebrate Columbus day in style- thanks to my new subscription to Enchanted Learning I got tons of printoffs for the kids to do- here's just a couple-

Sept 2011 140

And our drawing books had a series on Columbus so we did those-

Sept 2011 141

We also watched our movie on his life and learned about his devout Catholic faith. After all his flagship was called Santa Maria, or Holy Mary. He and his crew sang Salve Regina at the end of every day and he wrote again and again about his prayer for the conversion of the people in the New World. When they landed they named the place San Salvador- Holy Savior. While he may not have been perfect, we certainly should all thank him for bringing the gospel of Christ to the Americas.

From Columbus' logs of his first trip in 1492-

October 11th, Thursday:"As is our custom, Vespers were said in the late afternoon, and a special thanksgiving was offered to God for giving us renewed hope through the many signs of land He has provided. I now believe that the light I saw earlier was a sign from God and that it was truly the first positive indication of land."

October 12th, Friday:"At dawn we saw naked people, and I went ashore in the ship's boat …I unfurled the royal banner and the captains brought the flags which displayed a large green cross with the letters "F" [Ferdinand] and "Y" [Isabella] at the left and right side of the cross …To this land I gave the name San Salvador, in honor of our Blessed Lord."

In his letter to King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain telling them of his find-
Your highnesses, as Catholic Christians and Princes devoted to the Holy Christian faith and to the spreading of this faith, and as enemies of the Muslim sect and of all idolatries and heresies, ordered that I should go east, but not by land as is customary. I was to go by way of the west, whence until today we do not know with certainty that anyone has ever gone there. He sent me that I might bring the true faith to the Indians.

From his Book of Prophesies (about scripture prophecies not his own)-
I found our Lord well-disposed toward my heart's desire, and he gave me the spirit of intelligence for the task...Who doubts that this illumination was from the Holy Spirit? He [the Spirit], with marvelous rays of light, consoled me through the holy and sacred Scriptures, a strong and clear testimony ,...encouraging me to proceed and continually without ceasing for a moment, they inflame me with a sense of great urgency.

In a letter to the Spanish treasury after the discovery-
Since our Redeemer gave this victory to our most illustrious King and Queen and to their famous realms, in so great a manner, it is fitting for all Christendom to rejoice and to make celebrations and give solemn thanks to the Holy Trinity with many solemn prayers for the great exultation which it will have and the turning of so many peoples to our holy Faith."

2 comments:

BB said...

I am trying to learn with your little ones. From the Battle of Lepanto to San Salvador in one week! Sissy is looking like a beautiful little lady. Where'd my baby girl go? Marc is so handsome, like a teenager. Tuck Tuck and Charlie better stay little longer!
I love following your days.

--Shelley said...

very cool lessons for columbus day. streed would love a drawing book! i add very little spice to their homeschooling adventure. i told a friend the other day that it is good they don't know what they are missing :)