Wow- what a week it has been. Let's see. On Friday we met BB and Poppy to celebrate Father's Day early since Julia, Marc and Marky would be gone to camps on Sunday. We met him and BB at Moe's and he got shirts from Field and Stream. Happy Father's Day Poppy! You are a wonderful Dad and Poppy!
On Saturday Marc and Marky left with 57 other men and boys from our city and met up with 150 other men and boys in Tennessee at Fraternus Ranch. They are having a ball. Already they have climbed rock walls, played paint ball, gone white water rafting and had rough and tumble football games. They have a holy hour of prayer every morning and have had a Eucharistic procession. They don't have a cell signal out there so I've only been sent a few pictures from paintball-
So Marc and Marc Jr. left early Saturday morning and I was imagining a day of cleaning and organizing and enjoying the little ones. Tucker made himself a cute little breakfast-
I thought they were outside riding bikes while I was in my pajamas cleaning. I decided to clean out the refrigerator and had all the food on the counter. All of a sudden I hear a loud bang from the garage and ear-piercing screaming.
I run downstairs and find Tucker on the floor in a pool of blood. He has dropped a 45 lb weight (from a bench press set) onto his big toe. I can see the bone. He is losing it. I grab him and carry him upstairs to the sink and rinse it off and wrap it in paper towels and run to change clothes. I tell Julia and Charlie to get in the car.
I grab Tucker and run him to the car where he is still crying and screaming and blood is all over both of us. I first run to the doc in the box right by the house because I know they do stiches. They take one look and say, "you need to get to a hospital- this is serious." They help me wrap it up better and I drive to the ER. It was arriving at the ER that I realized that Charlie had no shoes on, my shirt was on backwards and I had left my cell phone at home. I clearly don't do well in a crisis. :) I told Julia and Charlie to stay in the car and watch a movie and ran Tucker in.
The people at the ER were amazing! They immediately got us back and he had an x-ray very quickly. They determined it was indeed broken, but not so bad that it required surgery! Thank you, Lord! An EMT let me borrow his cell phone and I called BB and Poppy who came as soon as they could. They recovered Julia and barefoot Charlie, gave me Dad's cell phone, and got the blood in the house cleaned up and all the food put away. Thank you!
Now it was time for stitches. They take us to a larger room and there is a large team of people trying to hold him down so they can numb it and stich him up. He is freaking out. They cannot get him to calm down and sit still. They tried sedating him with a nasal medication- no way- he wouldn't take it. Then they said, "we have to sedate him with an IV." It took six people holding him down to get the IV in and finally he got his meds.
When the medicine was going in Tucker stopped, looked around the room, and started saying, "My brain....my brain.....what have you done to my brain? Mommy, they broke my brain. I can't think. What's the capital of Peru? I don't know. Everything looks fuzzy. Oh Mommy- my brain!!!!" It was sad and funny at the same time. Once he was calmed down they were able to stitch him up.
We got home and gave him his medication and tried to keep him happy on the couch with his foot elevated. Sweet Julia read him stories and she and Charlie brought him a "how to draw" book and papers to let him draw for a while.
I read him the book, "The Matchlock Gun", which BB and I found riveting. :)
We also watched a show or two. We quickly learned that keeping Tucker still is about impossible. He was miserable sitting still and kept saying, "I'm guess I'm going to sit in this chair for the rest of my life." We finally had to get him moving. We figured out we can keep his foot raised and ride him around in a wagon- so we went out for icecream. :)
The next morning we needed to take Julia about an hour away for summer camp. BB, Tucker, Charlie and I drove her up. Tucker just laid in the back with his foot propped up. Julia's camp is at a Catholic Boarding school and they stay two to a room in the dorms. She went with her good friend from swim team and 4H. They were so excited!!!
It was fun to get her all unpacked and set up. Julia is about as tall as BB now!
And this week I had already signed Tucker and Charlie up to go to a chess/science camp. We found Marky's crutches in the attic that we got when he was eight and Tucker used them and went to chess camp. He was so happy he could still go. He and Charlie are having a ball and woke up early this morning to practice their skills. :)
Never a dull moment! Thank you, Lord, for getting us through this week!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)























No comments:
Post a Comment