Thursday, February 8, 2018

Rome Day 7: Orvieto and traveling to Siena

Today was mainly a travel day, but we made a nice three and a half hour stop in Orvieto where I saw one of the most beautiful churches I have ever seen!   This magical town is on top of a mountain.  You have to drive up to a high parking lot, climb the stairs, take a tram on a chain up the mountain and then a bus to the square!  It was all worth it- these towns are magical.  We are in the Tuscany region.


Getting on the tram to climb the mountain-

Breathtaking is not even the word.  There is nothing man-made in the world more beautiful than a Gothic Cathedral. 

The sides are striped!




Our guide explained the art on each panel- the first was the book of Genesis, the 2nd was the Jesse Tree, the 3rd was the life of Mary, and the 4th was the book of Revelation.




The main altar-


The chapel we used for Mass.  Inside the doors above the tabernacle is the Eucharistic Miracle of Ovieto.  














After Mass we had a wonderful lunch and gelato at some restaurants and then shopped around the adorable city.  That had the most beautiful pottery and ceramics.  I wish now I had gotten something.  I had taken a Dramamine for motion sickness on the bus and it totally wiped me out.  I didn't take many pictures today.

 Our lunch restaurant-



The sun came out and it was even more beautiful!

The views from the tram- mountains and villages-



We finally made it to Siena around 6 p.m. and got settled into the hotel.  

 I'm having such a fun time with these two sweethearts.  They are so precious to me and a delight to be with. 

We had a catered dinner in the hotel.





And now we are off to bed!  Only two more days left on this pilgrimage- tomorrow is Siena and Saturday is Florence.   Goodnight!

1 comment:

BB said...

Your days blow me away.
The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious to you. The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, and give you peace.