Today we had our first REAL "bully" incident. These two sweet buddies were playing at the park so sweetly. They had spent almost an hour building an intricate dam over a little creek with rocks, sticks and pinecones. Out of nowhere, this older child (maybe 8 years old), runs over and trashes the entire dam and takes the sticks and runs off saying "These are mine now." Marky and his friend (remember Marky is only 4, his buddy is only 5), chased the boy saying "wait, those are our sticks." When they catch up to the boy, he turns around and starts hitting Marky. He shoves him to the ground pinning Marky on his stomach and the boy is literally punching him in the back with his fists. I, of course, have jumped up and am running over to get this much bigger child off my baby- I think the shock of it all had me frozen for a minute. Next thing I know- Marky literally throws the boy off of him, which knocks him to the ground and Marky grabs his sticks and starts walking back to the creek. He didn't cry, he didn't call me- he just handled the situation. He had successfully fended off an attack by a much bigger boy and he didn't make it personal, he just got his sticks and went back to play. We have always told Marky that God made him extra big to protect people, and today he protected himself.I was actually very proud (I had many emotions as you can imagine- and my girlfriend had a talk with the bully and tried to find his mother). The most amazing thing is that after it was all over and the boys were back to re-building their dam, (at our suggestion) Marky walked over and asked the boy if he wanted to help them build it. And he did. The whole event was emotional for me and when we got home I asked Marky to tell his daddy what had happend. He said, "the big boy took the sticks off of our dam and then started hitting me" and Marc said, "what did you do?" All he said was, "I got my sticks back."
That's my little knight. When confronted, a Christian man has to stand his ground. We have to train our boys to stand to protect other people and even themselves from the bullies of this world. They must have a sense of chivalry. And when the battle is over, they must seek to make peace and offer friendship.




11 comments:
oh donna, this even made me emotional...that is SOOOO awesome and perfectly handled. WOW!! i love that he then invited the little boy to play with them!!
That is awesome! I was laughing and tearing up at the same time...way to go Marky!
I was definitely tearing up! What a sweet boy! You guys are doing a great job raising this boy to become an honorable man of God.
That's a great story! How proud you must have been to see him act like such a little man! You and Marc are obviously doing something right!
What a brave and godly little man!
WOW!! That is amazing. What an awesome story. Way to go, Marky! And good job, mama!
ok, since I have a 4 year old boy too,reading this post made me sick to my stomach. I hate that we have to watch our children suffer from the sins of this world. I so wish it would be ok if I could protect them from it all - but that is not ok. Praise God that Marky is "getting it" Donna. He made some very wise choices in this incident. This whole area for me is such a struggle - how to handle situations like this but I think Marky was very wise. He stood his ground and was not run over - a warrior. But he had compassion on that little boy. It was as if he could really see beyond the real issue - the boy wanted to play but didn't know how to ask - so Marky ask him - very tender. John tells me all the time that he wants our boys to be tender warriors. Sounds like Marky is well on his way - praise God!!!
Sorry so long - this topic just ruffles my feathers!
silas is 40 inches and 40 pounds and not yet three years old. ( i don't know where he gets it:) i think i will start teaching him the lesson of protecting others. he's the oldest of five cousins, so he tends to be rough, but what a great way to help him use his might for good!!!
WOW! What an amazing story and amazing little boy! I hope after teaching James over the next several years, he learns to be the same way in such a situation!
Wow, what a testimony of Jesus haven been beaten and then rising from the dead to declare victory. Then pursuing the offenders (us) to draw to himself and having a love relationship with us. Thank you Marky for showing Jesus.
what an emotional story! you must be so proud of your little boy, as well as of yourself! i DO NOT look forward to these kind of things happening to my 3 year old, eb. it hurts me to think about it. reading your blog has however inspired me to press on-just as our little angels do! my momma always said "kill 'em with kindness"......great job!
Post a Comment