Meanwhile, it's crazy Halloween/pumpkin time here and it's hard not to feel guilty for having fun when your family's world is being turned upside down. We did have a wonderful Halloween night. We had a chili dinner with our good friends and then trick-or-treated in the perfect weather. Presenting Clone Trooper Marky (i.e. security) and lovely butterflies, Margaret and Mary Hannah, and Princess Julia.
P.S. I want to add that I have NO PROBLEM whatsoever with my kids dressing up like their favorite things or people and trick-or-treating. I remember in high school being so shocked when my hyper-ethical english professor who hated the Easter Bunny and Santa said he had no problem with Halloween. He said, "c'mon...it's just kids getting candy". I argued that it was rooted in paganism and evil and should be completely avoided. Later, I've come to see that Christians have made it our practice over these past 2,000 years to redeem things begun in evil. The Church would go to a pagan temple and convert it to a Christian church. And people argue that Christmas and Easter have practices that include remnants of pagan celebrations. I have no doubt that my children are not dabbling in evil by dressing like a princess and asking for candy. I'm sure there are those who abuse it, but that can be said of anything. And Halloween is such a perfect prequel to All Saints Day. We are reminded of what the Saints were saved from. Today (Nov. 1st) we had an All Saints party and the kids got on stage in their costumes and gave clues to their Saint. They would say, for instance, "I baptized Jesus." Julia was St. Margaret of Scotland and Marky was St. George (of course!). In fact, all night on Halloween, when people would say "oh look a pretty princess", Marky would yell, "No, she's St. Margaret of Scotland." I might as well have put a big "we are Catholic" sticker on. :)




3 comments:
Looks like you had fun. Love the motto... Real men haul kids. Couldn't agree with you more. Still praying for your nephew.
One other question.... have you ever posted on how you became Catholic? You've referred to y'alls stories before but I haven't heard them. Would love to hear it sometime!
Donna, Halloween stories are not complete without the story of Marky at age 4, I believe. He was a doctor who was canonized. But, when people asked who he was, he said he was his current pediatrician...because he didn't want to be a dead doctor.
We are Catholic sticker owns me.
As well as Tucker's dimple. So cute!!
Post a Comment