Our first stop in Kilkenny was Kilkenny Castle- can I just say wow, wow, wow! It was amazing. I almost thought it was a Disney fake because it was just so perfectly castle-like. But in truth it was built in 1195!!
Unfortunately they don't let you take pictures inside (although I did one or two before I knew that). It is amazing and the quintessential castle-
The back lawn is a park-
Archer's windows-
The front lawn-
We ate at a cute Irish sports pub called "The Field'-
There is a man called St. Canice that has two cathedrals named after him in this town.
I love seeing lovely flowers growing out of stone walls. It has so much spiritual symoblism- nothing is impossible with God. He can make beauty from ashes, flowers from stone.
There are hundreds, maybe thousands, of ancient graves from as far back as the 1200s!
These ancient graves lined the floors-
Amazingly- there is a 9th century 100 foot tall tower still standing. Marc, Amber, Marky, Landin and Tucker climbed to the top. I was climbing with Julia when she had a quick change of heart and we had to go back down. :)
After St. Canice's we went to visit St. Mary's Cathedral- another very gorgeous, but much younger, cathedral-
A gorgeous window depicting the mysteries of the rosary-
When we got back we saw the live bunnies and guinea pigs that the hotel had set up for Easter!




1 comment:
I LOVE those pictures of Tuck Tuck!! He is SO Irish :) I also loved that epitaph of the mom and her son - so sad, but beautiful.
Looks like a grand time!! Those churches are beautiful!!
Oh, and are you SURE it was Julia bug who "had a change of heart climbing the tower"?…ahem :)
Post a Comment