Wednesday, May 7, 2014

A day for Brendan

Tuesday morning we had a mass and internment service for Brendan Patrick.  It was beautiful.  He was in a tiny urn on this table- between the red roses and the little bunny we bought him in Ireland.  



 
Father offered a beautiful and holy mass in the chapel for sweet Brendan.




Marc read the readings-

















 










After the Mass, Father offered special prayers for the baby- they were so beautiful.

Then we processed from the chapel, through the sanctuary and out to the columbarium.









Marky was holding the holy water-














Here's the thing about all of this- it's hard.   Grief is hard.  However I keep telling people- you have to walk right through it.  I don't want to "not think about it" or try to get around it.  I want to face it head on, grieve, and come out the other side.  When I walked in the chapel yesterday I fell apart.  I literally felt like I couldn't possibly sit through the funeral of a second son.  Yet I did.  God gives us what we need when we need it.  And I know the prayers of so many sustained me.  And I cried through the entire ceremony, but then I felt SO MUCH BETTER.  I felt like a weight was lifted.  There is healing in the sacraments.  There is healing in having the Church acknowledge your baby- say your baby's name- and commend your baby's soul to God.

During the service Father said, "this baby was so small, so so tiny- yet his SOUL WAS BIG.  His soul is just as big and just as important to God as our souls.  He is loved eternally by the Father, Son and Holy Spirit."  This is our faith.  This is how we celebrate the sanctity of life.  Fittingly one of my friends gave Charlie a little elephant that looks like Horton from Horton hears a Who.  And of course the theme of that story is "A person is a person no matter how small."  Amen and amen.

Therefore Marc and I have a deep abiding joy in the midst of our sorrow.  As Father said, "Brendan missed the earthly journey- but he has arrived at the eternal destination."  We know we will see him again- we know he is enjoying the peace and joy of heaven.  Thank you, thank you a million times for the prayers.  I am telling you they help.  People think there is nothing they can do to help you in grief, but you CAN!  These cards, flowers, meals- they HELP.   I just can't thank you all enough.


5 comments:

Jennifer McShea said...

I love seeing the service through pictures. I love seeing the people of God surround you in your sorrow! And I love hearing snippets from the service. Love you friend!

Unknown said...

Beautiful.

Jackie said...

Donna,
I am just now reading this. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like the service was a beautiful way to help you walk through your grief. My prayers are with you and your family.
Jackie

BB said...

So glad you had this service for Brendan. It was healing, it was acknowledging this precious soul, and it was Holy.
And today, we know WHO holds tomorrow---and we know WHO holds our hand.

Amy said...

So precious!!! You have been in my prayers friend!! Wish I could give you a hug!!