Monday, January 23, 2017

Family Camp Out

Well, since my last post we've had some fun and not-so-fun things going on.  On Tuesday I got to go visit my new Goddaughter in the hospital!  Beautiful Maggie!  Her parents are our good friends and are Marky's Godparents. 



I began feeling bad that night driving home from the hospital and then on Wednesday I thought I had a bad cold.  I stayed in bed most of the day.  By Thursday I felt TERRIBLE- like couldn't even sit up.  Marc stayed home from work and took me to the doctor where I was diagnosed with the flu.  It was sad because the next day was the beginning day of our family camp out weekend. 

This past fall we went on a field trip to Tannehill Ironworks Historical State Park.  That night one of the dads from the trip sent around an email to the homeschool cover group saying, "let's all rent out all the cabins in the park and have a fun weekend."  We decided to do it, and I'm so glad we did!  First, camping in a cabin is about as much "camping" as Momma wants to do.  Second, by doing it in town we were able to keep up our commitments to things like basketball and still have fun.  Third, even families who didn't camp were able to drive out and spend the day.  Such a fun time!

When we got there the kids rode their scooters all around the campground while Marc unloaded. 


They got their hammocks set up in front of the cabin.  Our cabin was right across from the Iron and Steel Museum. 



It was a precious cabin built in 1870, with a cozy living room and kitchen/dining area on the first floor (Robert E. Lee's picture was over the mantle)-


And a sleeping loft and bathroom on the 2nd floor-


We had a yummy red beans and rice, salad, and corn bread dinner at the biggest cabin.  The kids ate on the screened porch and then ran around like crazy out in the woods playing cops and robbers. 








After supper everyone made s'mores by the campfire and prayed and sang  the evening prayers from the Liturgy of the Hours.  I took Marky to his basketball practice that night and just came for supper and went home to sleep. 

On Saturday everybody got up and had a big breakfast and morning prayers together.  They made eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits and pancakes!  After morning prayers a lot of people went fishing and hiking. 




Our crew (without sick Mommy) went on a long hike and found the old abandoned iron works-





I took Marky to his noon basketball game and then spent the afternoon at the camp.  We cooked out burgers for lunch and ate in our rented pavilion.  Everyone was coming and going.




The kids spent the whole afternoon playing.  They had big games of football, capture the flag and nerf wars. 




Our pavilion was right by an awesome playground.  

Sissy was the dog whisperer for the whole trip.  She loved taking care of everyone's dogs. 







Saturday night the dads grilled tons of chicken for supper. 



We had grilled chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, rolls and peach cobbler.




I got all the kids little light up necklaces and they ran around with flashlights in the woods. 

After supper we had night prayers and then another bonfire with s'mores.  Everyone was totally exhausted when they got the cabins after 10! 

On Sunday there was another big group breakfast and morning prayers.  Then everyone packed up their cabins for check out.  There was a group rosary walk up the top of a big hill to a chapel where a priest came to offer Mass.



A perfect end to a precious weekend.  I hate I missed so much of this, but three cheers for my fearless husband who took four kids on a campout by himself!  Thank you!

1 comment:

Jennifer McShea said...

Good job Marc! Not only did he take them camping...he also took PICTURES! I'm sorry you had the flu! I had it a few weeks ago as well and it was miserable!