Wednesday, January 11, 2017

This and that

It's so funny how by December you are sick of the routine and dying for school and activities to end, and then by January 3rd you are ready to start back.  I am happy to have our routine back. 

We celebrated the Feast of Epiphany on the 6th.  That's the 12th day of Christmas when the 3 wise men visited the Holy Family and showed that the salvation of the Lord would be for all people.


Daddy read to us our Epiphany books-

We Three Kings by Gennady Spirin (every book by this amazing illustrator is gorgeous)-


The Fourth Wise Man by Nell Navillus-


And The Third Gift by Linda Sue Park, which explains how myrrh is acquired and used.


 We did a traditional Epiphany House blessing where we read the gospels, prayed prayers and walked through our home with candles and holy water asking God to bless our home this year.  The one we used is from Bringing Advent Home by Rosie and William Gil.  But there is a great one here.   The children LOVED doing this and have talked and talked about how nice it was. 



Then Daddy took our blessed chalk and wrote the Epiphany blessing above the doors:

20 + C + M + B + 17 

It's the year with the initials of the Magi- Caspar, Melchior and Balthazar- in the middle, but it also stands for Christus mansionem benedicat, which means Christ bless this house.   



We had the busiest weekend planned this past weekend with choir camp, basketball practice and game, our couple's supper/prayer group, and a concert.  It was ALL cancelled for the ice storm, and we were thrilled.  We had the best time relaxing and getting our house in order.  We put so much up for Christmas it takes a lot of work to get it all put away, labeled and organized.  I was so glad to have a whole day to get it done. 

Marc scares me to death decorating the above-the-door landing!



We are back on our weekly schedule.  Every Monday I drop Tucker off for his 30 minute piano lesson and read history to Marc and Julia in the car.  When Tucker is done, I drop Julia and Marc off for their lessons which last an hour and fifteen minutes and take the little boys out to lunch to pass the time.  It's such a treat for me to be with these sweet angels!


They both love to help me in the kitchen.  Tucker was cracking us up peeling this cucumber and pretending it was Larry from VeggieTales.  :)



Charlie took his apple and gave it a face to look like Bob the Tomato.  :)

Tucker drew this picture of "Slippery Sam" the banana key chain he got for his birthday.  I think it's pretty good.  Ha!



 Can I just tell you how much I love holding this little squishy boy and hearing him read to me.  It's my heart's joy to hear his sweet wittle voice.

We use the Elson readers.  He is using Book 1. 

On the other end of the spectrum I have my big boy typing out papers with footnotes.  I can't believe I'm still homeschooling him, but so far so good. 



These two little buddies keep themselves busy building all day long. 


Speaking of the boys, they both woke up with a stomach bug this morning.  Tucker came down and said, "I don't feel good" and got in my bed and threw up all over it and him and me.  Charlie did the same in his bed.    Good morning Mommy! 

I am happy to report that they got over the worst and are able to eat now, the sheets and jammies and children are all cleaned, and like BB taught me this whole house has been sterilized (door knobs, light switches, everything!) and we've got our essential oils and vitamins working to keep the rest of us well.   I am happy to have had the reminder to wash the comforters.  :)

By the way, finding the good in something makes me think of the movie Pollyanna that we just watched and I wanted to recommend.  We all enjoyed it.  It wasn't "too" sweet- it was just right. At one point I was nervous and Marky said, "don't you know what happens?"  And I said, "no."  He said "Oh, I've read it- it's going to be okay."  The boy will read anything.  Even Pollyanna apparently.  :)


1 comment:

holly said...

Have you not seen Pollyanna with Haley Mills??!