Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Anastasia's new tricks and books I've read lately

Sweet baby girl had her first bowl of rice cereal Monday.  It was a huge hit!  :)







Then we had to wash it down.  ;)  She is trying to hold her bottle.

She scoots all over the place now.  You can't leave her on her play mat and expect to find her there minutes later.  My four-month-old is mobile!


I came out and said, "What are you doing under the coffee table, Annie?" and she cackled laughing at herself.

So I put her back on her mat and then seconds later she took off the other direction.  It's going to be a busy time around here.  :)


In other news I just read Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry.  I really enjoyed it- it's a comfortable, cozy story.  I am in a literary book group that meets quarterly and this was the choice.  I hosted the dinner last night.




I have also read in the past two years or so-

Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte, one of the lesser known Bronte sisters, but this book is excellent!


Hannah Fowler- great story-



Middlemarch by George Eliot-


The Privilege of Being a Woman-


I loved Privilege of Being a Woman by Alice von Hildebrand so much I decided to read her autobiography as well.



Anna Karenina by Tolstoy-



Brideshead Revisisted by Evelyn Waugh-


A Danger to the State by Trower-


Emma by Jane Austen- I love anything she writes.  


Helena by Evelyn Waugh- it was fine, but I much prefer the story by Louis de Wohl, which I also read.



Mama's Bank Account- such a sweet story!



I, Juan de Pareja- interesting historical fiction-


In this House of Brede, by Rumer Godden- LOVED LOVED LOVED it.


Silence by Endo.  NOT a fan of this one- skip it!


The Complete Short Stories of Flannery O'Connor- I probably read about 8 of these (and some articles explaining them).  I'm glad I know her writing now.  


Barchester Towers by Anthony Trollope- LOVED this!


That Nothing May be Lost by Father Scalia-


How the Catholic Church Saved my Marriage by our friend, Dr. Dave Anders-


 Screwtape Letters-



Orthodoxy by Chesterton-


The Abolition of Man-


The Woman who was Chesterton-

I know there were more, but I don't keep any records and now I wish I had.  So I am starting now.  And as for my current reading-

The Diary of a Country Priest- don't let the title fool you- this is not cozy and light.  But I'm glad I am reading it- I'm over 1/2 way.  


And I'm half way through, and LOVING, Keeping House, A Litany of Everyday Life by Peterson.


And I just bought the first book in the Kristen Lavransdatter trilogy- I have been waiting to read this for years- I'm so glad to finally get to it!


No comments: