Monday, September 11, 2017

More thoughts,this and that




This Sunday had many events to attend and get to.  I had gotten us all ready the night before, cooked food for church potluck, gotten all the outfits ready, we were taking two cars so we could split up- and then Marky woke up with a stomach bug.   All plans came to a stop for Marky and me.

I missed the first Sunday school class of the year, missed the potluck, and missed Julia's first American Heritage Girls meeting.  I also missed the concert Marky was supposed to sing in and be a leader in. 


But sometimes it's nice when God MAKES you slow down.  I may have missed some things, but I was given time to rest.  Time to think.  Time to nurture my biggest boy.  We had a quiet house all day.  I wanted to stay in the room near him so I worked on my plans for teaching Alabama History this year.  And later that evening I went to mass by myself, which was a contemplative time. 

P.S. For common sense on how to care for a sick child see HERE.  (many a mom today doesn't know you have to stop when your child is sick- myself included)


Daddy took folks to the various events-


Julia LOVES American Heritage Girls.  They had a "bridging ceremony" where the girls ranking up walked across a literal bridge.


The little brothers had fun playing by the creek-






 



When they got home they went for a long hike through our woods down to the creek. 



When we have extra time, Daddy loves to pray the scriptural rosary- each child takes a turn reading the scriptures-

Daddy came home earlier than usual today because of the impending storm.  He worked in our room, but he kept coming out to smile at our home education.  Tucker and Charlie sit at the coffee table, and I, for the most part, work with them one at a time.   I still work from youngest to oldest.


Tucker was drumming and helping me learn all the songs I'm going to teach my classes at Co-op.  I'm teaching Alabama History to 3rd-5th grade, and "The Ten Dates Every Catholic Should Know" to the 6th-8th.  I'm so looking forward to it!  (We are learning the state song, among many others). 


I haven't played guitars in years- somebody broke one of the strings years ago and I forgot about it.  We finally had it restrung and tuned and now everybody wants to play. 


Tucker sang the whole "She'll be Coming Round the Mountain" for me today. 

So here we are- just waiting and watching for the storm.  It looks like it's not going to be so bad in our area after all.  And we are so grateful that Marc's family in Florida is all safe with minimal damage to their properties. 

We made our first fire in the fireplace tonight- I know- it's too early!  I just can't help myself.  I love the smell of a fire, and we roasted marshmallows. 

Tonight I talked with a precious friend who found out at her 18-week ultrasound that her child had died at 17 weeks.  Oh how my heart went out to her.   And a precious family member miscarried her long hoped-for baby today as well. 
As I talked to my friend I remember telling her about a time when after I'd had yet another devastating ultrasound.  I was just walking in my kitchen saying, "My babies die in my womb.  I am a tomb.  In me is death."  Right at that moment, I heard Christ's words, "Be at peace- In Me is Life- and Life Everlasting!"  "Ego Sum Vita!- I am the Life!"  I realized my babies were MORE alive than me.  We see dimly- they see fully.  We are left in shadowlands, while they bask in His marvelous light.

That said, I realize how close to the surface this wound of my heart remains.  I have been given marvelous grace from day to day, month to month, but moments like this, when I hear of another suffering in the same way, my heart breaks in two again.  I find myself looking at my little cross and begging for the strength to bear it joyfully as I endeavor to help others carry theirs. 

Jesus, we trust in You.

"Ego sum via veritas et vita" painted in 1903 by Aladar Kriesch Korosfoi
"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life"

No comments: