Daddy's the best teacher!
Tucker was riding his skateboard behind shouting, "You can do it, Charlie! I know you can!"
Speaking of sweet Charliebear-
When I started this blog I had a habit of writing down the clever or funny things the children said. Over the years I've gotten out of the habit. I want to remember how bright and clever little Charlie is at 6 years old. He is a whiz at school- he finished first grade before Christmas and is already 1/4 through 3rd grade math. He just loves to work hard and enjoys school.
Reading comprehension has always come easily to this little guy. Whenever I stop and ask questions while reading he always knows the answer. The other day while reading a book about time travel the other two were totally confused, and Charlie explained it all to them!
Today I had a long doctor's appointment and BB came to the house and did Charlie's reading lesson with him. We use Elson Readers and the workbooks that come with them. He read BB a long story about a father, son and donkey and then answered all the questions- even the "implied" ones- perfectly. Then when he read the part about them carrying the donkey tied upside down on a stick he told BB- "They did that to make the donkey weigh less. If you just pick the donkey up it's going to be heavy, but the longer stick you use on the sides it will lessen the load." BB was shocked and said, "How do you know that?" He said, "From Mr. Wizard." Ha! We have all the 1980s Mr. Wizards, and I do think they are learning from them!
Tonight as Daddy read about the miracles of Jesus to us after supper he said, "once there was a very sick man who was resting on a pallet." I stopped him and said, "Does anyone know what story Daddy is about to tell?" Charlie said, "Is it Lazarus?" I said, "No." He said, "oh- then it must be the story about the sick man and the crowd that was too big around Jesus so they broke open the roof and lowered him in to be healed."
Later Daddy was reading about Jesus healing a leper and Charlie said, "What I don't understand is why Elisha told Naaman to dunk in the river seven times to heal his leprosy- why didn't everyone just do that and be healed?" We were amazed that he remembered that story and the names and everything. I don't know how long it has been since he heard it- I would think months or even a year. Of course we explained that Naaman's miracle was just for him and not a cure-all for leprosy.
All that to say that Charlie- you are a delight and such a bright little boy. We love hearing your thoughts on things. You are our little blessing!
Monday, April 16, 2018
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment