Sunday, March 29, 2009

Hymn for Lent

Broken cisterns walled in stone
Hold but dust and whitened bone.
Mend, O mend our hearts, we cry,
Lest in parching thirst we die.

Roll the heavy stone away;
Shape new hearts of earthen clay;
Breathe on us your living breath;
Warm in us the chill of death.

Loose the waters of your word;
Let their leaping joy be heard;
Fill with love forever fresh
Hearts once stone but now made flesh.

I hope your lent is going well and producing good fruit in your life. If I'm honest, this lent is not going how I had hoped- I feel very distracted. I had such a great advent season I was really excited about preparing for Easter. But it's not over and we still have time to return to God with our whole heart because we know that "unless a grain of wheat falls on the ground and dies, it remains a single grain; but if it dies, it yields a rich harvest." Jn 12:24-25 Jesus promised us that "whoever shall lose his life for My sake, shall find it." Lord I am not worthy to receive you, but just say the word and I shall be healed.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Hi Donna. What a beautiful hymn! I can't believe Lent is almost over. I don't know where the time is going! I guess that's what happens when we stay busy with our blessings :) Lori