Sunday, August 21, 2011

Les Miserables

If anyone saw Les Mis on PBS tonight you will probably feel as I do that casting NICK JONAS as Marius was ridiculous! And I LOVE Les Miserables- my aunt bought me the sheet music and cassette for it when I was in 8th grade and I played it almost every day and know every word and have seen it twice in person.

Onto Nick- Sure, he is cute and can sing just fine- but when we are doing the 25 year anniversary show- bring out the best vocalist you can find. There was a total lack of passion. And I know because I've watched the "Dream Cast" version a million times on VHS and Michael Ball has the voice and passion to pull off a Marius perfectly- even when he was techincally too old to be playing such a young upstart and was working with a very dull Cosette (and yes he could be a little TOO sappy at times- but at least the man can sing). And there will never be a Jean Valjeam as REAL as Colm Wilkinson, but Alfie Boe tonight was amazing and very, very good- and his death scene was a tear jerker: "forgive me of my trespasses and take me to Your glory...".

And I'm not alone in thinking old Nicky Jonas left something to be desired- this journalist says-




Apologies to any Jonas Brothers fans, but pity poor Nick Jonas. He's a
painful weak link in the otherwise sensational casting. He just doesn't have
the vocal range or strength. This is the only "Les Miz" I've seen where I
wished Marius was left for dead. Kudos to the charming Katie Hall as
Cosette. She shows no signs of embarrassment singing opposite him.

What can I say- I can't believe how producers will sell-out and get a Miley Cyrus type character to front what should be an epic, amazing show just to ensure the Mickey Mouse fanbase shows up. It broke my heart. Did anyone else see this? Nick Jonas- are you serious? Yes he can sing fine- but let's make the show the best it can be not just "good enough". Artistic integrity R.I.P.

1 comment:

holly said...

i did not see it! And I love Les Mis too. Heather Oglesby and I used to sing the songs in middle/high school to her cassette tape old school karaoke thingee. I will have to see it to give a proper critique, but i'm leaning towards a no go on the jo bro.