Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mr. Manners in the house

Daddy came home early today because he traveled this weekend and wanted some time with us. We had manners school for about an hour where we learned about how to answer grown-ups questions and how to sit and how to shake hands (and more importantly- how NOT to). We've done these from time to time and I really think they help. (they help the kids learn how to act- but mostly they help me not to be embarassed (as often) in public which is paramount).
Aug 2011 144

Aug 2011 140
Julia kept getting the giggles while doing it and covering her mouth and laughing with squinty eyes and all I could see was little Donna (how many times have I gotten the giggles at the wrong time? More than I can count.) The more she tried not to laugh the more her body would start shaking and she laughed harder. It made me cover my mouth and laugh with squinty eyes at her. :)

Aug 2011 145 Here's Marky reading aloud from his reader with his audience. Not sure why she does this- it drives him crazy. "I can hear you breathing..." And she'll say, "no- I'm not breathing!" :)

Aug 2011 139

3 comments:

BB said...

Great manners lesson, Daddy! I was so impressed with Fashionista's son Alex's manners. He looked me in the eye as he extended his hand to say, "Pleased to meet you!"
I adore my squinty-eyed, laughing little angel girl. And Marky, she wants to watch you read because she just loves being close to you. Now, she MAY have been fibbing when she said she wasn't breathing. That I'll give you ;)

holly said...

awww, very impressed! You always amaze me with the "extra schooling" you do! And BB, thanks for your sweet comment. I wonder what my middle monster did when she met you? Probably stomped your toe and stole your purse!

--Shelley said...

I love this. One thing a homeschool friend says of her kids is, "I would much rather them know how to speak to adults and look them in the eye than to know what the cool new shoe etc is." I know that sounds like they are dorks but they really are not. They are well-mannered and respectful kids. I am going to do this with mine too. Great idea!