Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend

We have had a very laid back, fun Memorial Day weekend.   The kids were in Hobby Lobby with me the other day getting a picture framed and saw all these patriotic decorations and I started to get some and then thought that they need to learn you don't always have to buy things- you can make them.  So we came home and I taught them how to make a paper chain-

mem day

mem day 1

We were making red, white and blue pretzle rods with white chocolate and blue and red sprinkles, but the white chocolate burned and we could only make one.  So then I used some regular chocolate, but you couldn't see the red and blue sprinkles on the dark chocolate so we got out the rainbow sprinkles, which def. looked best.  They all looked so cute in the crystal cookie jar-

mem day 5

Yesterday we had three birthday parties.  Tucker and Charlie went to one at a big indoor soccer arena in the morning.  Tucker was so happy they had flags and shocked them when he said, "hey look there's the flag for Nigeria, that one is for Kenya, there's the Union Jack".  :)
mem day 2

I asked him if he wanted to have his party there in the winter and he said, "only if they add Poland's flag WITH the eagle."  Who knows what goes on in that little curly-topped head of his.

mem day 4

Marc and Julia had a birthday party at the neighborhood pool that afternoon and then our godson and his family came over for a bbq cookout to celebrate his b'day.  We had ribs, pulled pork, scalloped potatoes, baked beans, strawberry salad, watermelon and rasberry cobbler with ice cream for dessert.  Tell me that is not a great Memorial Day meal.  :)

Today we woke up and decided to celebrate our anniversary by a trip to the "beach"- a.k.a. the lake at the state park.  :)  The kids were SO HAPPY!    That's Tuck in his green puddlejumper.

20130526_131904

20130526_131844

Charliebear in Marky's old lifejacket- it still says "Marc" on the back.  :)

20130526_115724

Charlie having a snack under the umbrella.  He stayed ON Daddy the whole day.  He is Daddy's buddy.

20130526_125238

20130526_125512

20130526_125254

I wondered how Charlie would do- this was a test run to see if I could possibly bring them back by myself sometime.  He did great and was really happy all day and entertained himself rather well.

20130526_130711

20130526_130712

Now we are home and cleaned up.  Daddy is mowing the grass, Charlie is napping, Tucker is watering flowers, Julia and Marky are watching a show.  We are going to Mass in a bit.  Such a perfect way to end the day.  I didn't know 12 years ago today how wonderful life would be.  I told the children- 12 years ago we asked God to bless our marriage and give us a family and He said, "I've got a great Marky up here just for you.  And the perfect Sissybug- you will love her!  And I have a cute Tuck Tuck that I'll send to keep it light- and oh, how about this Charliebear- he's a doll?"  And we said "Yes, Lord!  Thank you!!!"

2 comments:

Amy said...

happy anniversary sweet friend!! Hope you guys have a great rest of the weekend

holly said...

what a precious weekend! Happy Anniversary! We were on a family walk and Eli and I fell behind the rest of the family. He asked me, "Mama, when did our family begin?" And almost verbatim, I told him what you told your kids about your wedding. And how God had him up in heaven waiting to send him to us. How precious that they are aware that they are gifts from God to our families.