Monday, July 21, 2014

The Little Professor

I haven't written much about the little professor in our house in a while, and I don't want to forget what he is like at ten.  Marc still reads and reads and reads some more.  We bought him a book on fourth of July called "George Washington, Spymaster" and he read it in its entirety before we got home from the event.    Zaza bought him another Rush Limbaugh book when she was here, and he practically finished it before we were home from Barnes n Nobles.

This week he is at chess camp in the mornings and loving it.  Marc took him this morning, but first ran by the dentist.  While Marc Jr. waited in the waiting room for the 30 minute appointment he read the entire Mr. Popper's Penguins.   It just comes natural for him to grab a book before getting in the car or going somewhere we might have to wait.  I don't ask him to- he just does it.

And he is still Cliff Clavin with trivia facts.  I was talking to Julia yesterday and saying "Polar bears are in the artic and penguins are in Antarctica."  Marc said, "actually penguins can be found other places as well like South Africa and southern Australia."

Last night they watched "October Sky" and I was asking them what it was about.  They said that a boy had been inspired to build a rocket after seeing Sputnik.  Julia said, "I wish I could see Sputnik," and Marc said, "there were actually two sputniks and neither are in orbit."

His history knowledge is amazing.  If I ever wonder who was in what war or who won or what battles were important or what weapons or planes they used I go ask the little professor.

It's like this all day every day.   Right now I hear him in the music room teaching Tucker how to play chess.  He really wants to have a chess buddy and thinks Tucker is his best bet.  :)  Mommy is surely not going to learn.  I'm so grateful for my little buddy and all he brings to our home.  His wonder at the world is contagious, and we all want to know more because of our little professor.

(By the way, the way we teach chess is to start with just pawns until they know how those move then add one new piece at a time).  

 



1 comment:

Unknown said...

He should read "Rocket Boys" by Homer Hickam. It's written by one of the Rocket Boys and tells the true story-a little different from the movie (they never actually met Von Braun.) I loved the movie and the book!