Saturday, November 14, 2015

Alabama Museum of Natural History and black leggings reflections

Friday we took a field trip to the University of Alabama to see the Alabama Museum of Natural History.  We had never been there before and had a great time.





We had a great docent who taught the children all about the geology and natural history of Alabama.  

Some of us were less interested in all that than others.   Some of us are "tired about dis". 

Some of us just like to sit and ponder.  :)


Towards the end of the tour they broke the children up into groups and while one group went to a rocks and minerals lab the others stayed behind to do a scavenger hunt and play in the museum.  The older children went first.   
 


 

 

 

After the tour we ate lunch at the food court.  It was so interesting watching these college kids.  I would say 95% of the girls I saw had on black stretch "pants", t-shirt and tennis shoes.  I mean- ALL of them looked exactly the same!  The boys actually had much more fashion diversity- they had khaki pants, jeans, cords, etc.   I asked one student worker if this was a "casual Friday" thing or they literally ALL wore black leggings and t-shirts every day.  He said, "They wear it every single day.  They don't even wear jeans anymore."  I said, "what about the sorority girls- isn't there a day of the week they have to dress up?"  (There was when I was in college).  He said, "yes, on Wednesday they are supposed to, but they wear it to the first class and then go put the black stretch pants back on."  I said, "It doesn't seem like anybody is making an effort to put an outfit together?"  And he said, "you are right- it's demoralizing."    Kind of sad, isn't it?

We drove home and Marc had his first basketball practice!  (See how we had that nice three day break between sports seasons)  :)  Since Daddy was out of town I had to sit and wait with the three amigos.  They had their own fun playing on the gym stage. 




Of course when we got home I learned about the terrible, terrible news from France.  We are lifting them up in our prayers.  Yesterday was the first day of the Christ the King Novena.   It seems appropriate for these dark times.  Miserere nobis. 


 

1 comment:

holly said...

You know I was going to comment on the leggings. It is really sad that girls don't care how they look anymore. The high schoolers do it too. I'm trying my best to change it but it's not working, ha! All I can hope is that it's just a trend and this too shall pass. Paris. So sad. So scary.