Tuesday, July 22, 2008

My favorite sitcom mom passes on...

Sophia is gone! It is a well-known fact that I have adored the golden girls all my life. It started when I stayed with my grandparents in the summer and my grandmother LOVED the show. Then I watched the lifetime reruns all through college and law school. Marc says I can quote every episode ever made- and it might be true. I quoted one episode on our first date. (I knew how to impress). Hillary D. told us in college that Sophia was actually the YOUNGEST actress on the show and almost didn't get the part b/c she looked too young. And...she was not Italian- she was Jewish. She was hilarious. I loved her zingers and I wish they had shows like Golden Girls again. Rest in peace Estelle. "Hey, Sicilians can always recognize two things - when someone is telling the truth, and when they've had their fingerprints changed."

9 comments:

LeAnne said...

Oh sad day...I loved the Golden Girls too and hope to someday be as spry and feisty as her character, Sophia!! I did not know she was the youngest...interesting!

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Yes, well I'm glad you remembered something I said from college. That is impressive! And the funnier part behind that is the reason I said it, I'm sure, is because my dad- a known repeater- says it EVERY TIME you flip past the golden girls on tv. I hope I didn't say it that much!
I love that you quoted GG on your first date. That is hilarious. God bless Marc. He married you anyway! ha!

sagefats said...

All the good ones are going. Estelle had been suffering from advanced dementia. So sad.


Who's next for crying out loud? George Gaynes?

Matt, Carrie, Lucy and Molly Allen said...

ok, another show we both love! matt actually got me hooked (he used to watch it with his grandmother)we used to record it every night on the dvr...love it!

Christy said...

"my daughter may be no spring chicken, and she may have noticable trouble digesting raw vegetables but she is not 'mental'"!!
I don't think i got it exactly right but i feel sure that if you quoted GG on your first date, you will know the episode. :)

Donna said...

Blanche (trying to seduce a houseguest): "I think I will draw a bath with just enough water to cover my perky bosom."
Sophia: "You are only going to sit in an inch of water?"

Anonymous said...

Now that's funny!!!!!!!

--Shelley said...

love it. hope to come see you soon.

Little April said...

That is so sad I did know she passed away she was my favorite caracter on the gold girls.