Tonight we were watching the Duggars as they helped the Bates family build a house. They came and camped out at the Bates' family home for weeks and literally built them a house. The boys labored outside while the girls cooked and socialized. They had over 50 people sharing one bathroom and somehow none of them were walking around talking about how stressed out they were or how ridiculous is was to make them work for this other family. It was such beautiful, joyful selflessness. We were taken by what character these children had.
After it was over we flipped to TLC where they were showing Toddlers and Tiaras. Oh my goodness- what a stark contrast. Marc immediately said, "these little girls have never had to serve another person". That may not be true, but it is definitely true that they are told they are super special and they need to "rock that stage" and make everyone look at them in their "western wear" and then get to pout if they don't win the whole thing. We also noted how nobody comes to watch in the audience except the parents and this is because there is no value in what they are doing. They are not exhibiting any special talent or skill- they are just prancing around dressed up all "glitz" and dancing suggestively. One little girl said, "I'm gone win this thing" and wore a shirt that said "I love to sparkle". What sparkles should be her precious, gentle spirit, not her lipgloss, spray tan and fake teeth, fake eye lashes and fake hair. After all, she is five years old.
A life changing quote I heard in college at just the right time was "that which is beautiful is not always good, but that which is good is always beautiful." The Duggar children are joyful, talented, selfless and as Marc says "they are the ones who sparkle." I'm not all against pageants per se, I would just love to see these tiara moms really concern themselves with their children's character and then their inner beauty would shine through and we wouldn't need all this coiffing and western wear.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




5 comments:
For me, this passage says it all. I Timothy 4:8
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.
I agree, the goodness of a family that loves the Lord is attractive. Much more attractive that anything that the world considers beautiful. Our world has is completely backwards!
"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter." Isaiah 5:20
well said. totally agreed! love me some duggars. and can you believe those girls were using a wet saw and laying tile?
We love the Duggars! Joe asks me every day of the week if it's Tuesday yet? If we could only find a way to block the commercials!
As you know, I'm a Duggar groupie and I completely agree. Toddlers and Tiaras gives me the heebs.
Post a Comment