Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Better to light one candle...

Things making me happy today:
1) We tried story time again today and this time it was basically a success. We went with two friends who have little girls Julia's age and the three amigos were able to sit together and enjoy themselves. I ended up leaving with Mr. T to do puzzles, but at least Julia got some much enjoyed girl time. :)

Hi, My name's Tuck Tuck, I don't sit still, but I'm really precious.



2.) Our next door neighbor gave Julia her old rain boots. I've never done rainboots before, but I'm a believer now. They are the "crocs" of winter- no shoelaces to tie, easily cleanable- she's wearing them all the time.
3.) Our heat is out. It's 40 degrees outside. Our heat went out Monday morning and they aren't coming until Thursday to repair it ('preciate cha). The upstairs heat works so the kids' rooms are fine, but it gets pretty chilly downstairs at night. So....tonight we decided to take action and make our first fire in the new house.
First a trip to Lowe's to get the gear- we haven't had a wood-burning fireplace in 6 years.

I'm so excited to have a wood-burning fireplace. We have gas logs in the front living room and our bedroom, but the great room has wood-burning and there is just nothing like it.



These precious children were just mesmerized.


Feeling all sentimental I even agreed to roast marshmallows. I have vivid memories of doing that in my house when I was five. It's weird to think my kids could remember this when they are parents themselves.


Flaming marshmallows!




Now we are all toasty! (Of course I have fleece jammies, fleece socks, a snuggie and a space heater- Marc's in a t-shirt). :)

5 comments:

Christy said...

Oh how I love a wood burning fire! There truly is nothing like it to make things all kinds of cozy. We had one in the APARTMENT of all places and miss it so. It's on the top of our wish list should we move again.
Hate I missed story time!

BB said...

I'm so envious. I want to be there too!
You grew up with a Dad who loved to build a great fire, and sometimes turned on the ceiling fan and air-conditioner to keep up with it. Our neighbors ALWAYS chided us on seeing smoke in the chimney on a not-cold day. And so the legacy continues....

Christy said...

YES! We have had to open all the windows when Dad would build a rolling fire on a day with just the slightest nip in the air :)

BB said...

All together now, lets' sing a verse of "Men, Men, Men, Men,
Manly Men, Men, Men"....
Funny, Christy, I thought we were the only ones!!!!

--Shelley said...

I made so many fires last year in our first ever fireplace. I was really bummed when we bought this house with a gas fireplace. I do like just flipping the switch, and it really does produce heat, but it is just not the same.