Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas party 2010

Last night we had our first ever Christmas party. It was so much fun! Everyone who came brought appetizers or sweets or wine so these pics were taken before we "filled up" the tables. :)












For drinks we had wine, beer, egg nog (leaded and unleaded) and my mom's famous Port wine cooler punch. :) Salty food was in the dining room- sweets were in the kitchen. By far, the highlight of the party was the entertainment. I wanted a real, old-fashioned Christmas party with readings and singing. The four guys read from Handel's Messiah Part 1 (which is all about the prophecies and Christmas story). They also read an Advent prayer as a group. Then guitar-genius Chris led us in several carols including all the stanzas of O Come, O Come Emmanuel, Come Thou Long Expected Jesus, and The First Noel. Then our opera-singer friend Adrienne blessed us with haunting version of Lo How a Rose E're Blooming. A wonderful night, with wonderful Godly people who encourage us so much. I did an evite this time instead of a real invite and have had mixed reviews. I've already heard of two people today who never got it an didn't know about the party (including the neighbors across the street who watched and probably wondered why they weren't invited!). So next time I'll probably do invites the old fashioned way. And I've learned you have to be flexible b/c people are apt to call merely hours before the party to cancel so don't go overboard buying food. All in all a wonderful night and a wonderful weekend. We actually had a date night to see Handel's Messiah on Friday night with the Alabama Symphony. We were on the second row and for the first time I had the lyrics in front of me- reading the words added so much- it is so much more beautiful than I knew. P.S. Marky won the Birthday Party for Jesus poster contest for his age group at church this morning. He drew a nativity with Isaiah's prophesy, "the people who walked in darkness have seen a great light"- all his own idea- he only asked me how to spell Isaiah. :) I love this time of year. (I don't know why blogger is turning this pic- when you look at it in "my pictures" it's right-side up!)

3 comments:

BB said...

Darn. Wish I had been there. I could have taken my ukelele and fire baton. I think THAT would have made a difference.
Seriously, it all looks so perfect.

--Shelley said...

i love it. i thought about you all weekend and was going to call and check on you saturday but decided to just call this week to see how it all went. looks like a great party.

Kris and Stacey said...

Oh D, I am so so so sorry we missed it. Kris's firm puts on a big Christmas party for head start kids and we were there. Please make this an annual event and make sure we get an invite next year. I will clear my calendar. Miss you guys. Once again it has been too long. Merry Christmas!!!!