So I'm addicted to sattellite radio and find myself going to the 80s station- a lot. Because the 80s had great songs. And then every single time I turn it to "my" generation- the 90s- it's just garbage. I have no "sound track" to my high school and college experience- no awesome genre of music that speaks to my youth. The best we had was Hootie and Dave Matthews- so much of the rest was just garbage. My husband is a product of the 80s and his music was just so much better- their reunion was awesome b/c it had awesome songs and the slideshow video started with "Dearly Beloved....we are gathered here together to celebrate this thing called LIFE.." (if you are a true 80s afficianodo you know that's Prince's "let's go crazy" intro).
Case in point- today driving to my doctor's appt. (alone) I heard Pour Some Sugar on Me, Livin' on a Prayer, Ooooh baby I think I love you- from head to toe, If you leave- don't leave now, and a grand finale of Glory of Love by my man Peter Cetera.
I turn to the 90s station twice- first time I hear "millions of peaches, peaches for me"- sigh- turn back to the 80s....later run by the 90s and get "I hate everything about you". Garbage! We were jipped people. AND- not only did we have bad music- our style was boring and boxy and our hair wasn't fixed well. I'm just upset that my 90s experience lacked the flavor of the others- you know 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s when you hear it- you know it when you see it. 90s? Not so much.
In that vein- do you know who sings "Holiday Road" (the Griswald family vacation movie theme song)- it's not Kenny Loggins- it's Fleetwood Mac's Lindsey Buckingham- is anyone as shocked as I was to hear that? Lindsey Buckingham who has achieved newfound fame with his role in SNL's "what up with that?" skit- Lindsey, man, you ain't mad at me, right?
And don't the intro lyrics to Pour Some Sugar on Me sound like he says "red I-phone"? I had to google the lyrics tonight and it's actually "radar phone" whatever that means.
Love is like a bomb, baby, c'mon get it on Livin' like a lover with a radar phone
There- I had to get that off my chest. Moving on. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




15 comments:
Indeed. You whipper-snappers all missed out on parachute pants and break dancing. I, however, did not miss out.
Signed,
Marc "Grandmaster Flash" Ayers, The Human Robot (with slight disc herniation in L5-L6)
So much to say right now, but I am at work.
I concur in part, and dissent in part.
To be continued...
Hang on just a darn minute there, Sally.
I'm actually a good bridge between 80s (parachute pants, check) and 90s (flannel lumberjack shirts, check) and like to think I have a good appreciation of both (sorry, Grandpaw Marc).
Saying 90s music is lame is to ignore an extremely important musical decade.
The 80s produced some really great stuff, sure, but as with all eras, it produced some epic trash, as well. Two words: Milli. Vanilli.
But you can't dismiss the 1990s as 100% trash. You just can't. Like its style or not, it was without question one of the most creative musical decades since the 1960s. And, to a debatable extent, the 1990s influence much of our current music, especially the Seattle/Grunge movement.
When Nirvana broke, it changed absolutely everything. Think about it: It was powerful enough to get METALLICA, of all people, to completely switch styles. That's very, very big, indeed.
*End of Rant*
This made me laugh out loud!
I will stay out of the music debate and stick to the part of your post that is not and never could be a matter of debate- the fashions.
1) no self respecting woman should wear hunter green unless she is hunting
2) teenage girls who will never again be as petite as they are in high school should not be wearing pants four sizes too big
3) nor should said teenage girls be wearing miniskirts up to their bottoms (one extreme or the other!...remember the 90's also brought the spaghetti strap tank into polite society)
4) waffle knit was meant to be worn UNDER one's clothes
5) plaid bathing suits?!?! Because nothing says summertime like lumberjack plaid?
6) I could go on and on :)
Baby is crying! Shocking!
Good grief- I almost mentioned Nirvana and Seattle grunge b/c I knew some guys would remind me of the awesomeness they brought to music- but as a southern belle- that music never spoke to me (and I also know some guy, my husband included, will say that "pour some sugar on me" was Def Leopard's sell out phase). I speak only from a GIRL who liked "don't need nothin' but a good time" and didn't care as much for "silent lucidity"- I'm just sayin'- I KNOW all 90s wasn't garbage- but IN GENERAL- the decade let me down- musically, hair-wise and certainly fashionwise. And by the way, in the 90s I got attracted to country music- that's a whole different topic- 90s country was awesome.
oh that's funny. sometimes you just have to vent. as did i on my blog last night. that's right, i actually updated!
and Marc and Matt and Christy made me laugh. I love it. Sorry for the disc herniation, Marc!
A few points from your elder:
1) Please do not ever say again that Metallica changed their style based on anything other than their own musical awesomeness.
2) Milli Vanilli was not a real 80s band - it was a Hollywood-style public joke played on people who were not paying attention. Which blends nicely into my next point:
3) 90s-2000s "country music" is a total abomination. It is correctly called "techno-pop-country-crap," made by a bunch of wanna-be Hollywood elitist twits (with few exceptions). Hard drinkin', cheatin' and druggin' Waylon and Hank-types who actually play their own real country music without self-tanner or hair extensions are far too infrequent these days. I am sure that they would love to spit some Beech Nut in the eye of such "music." Case in point - I was recently talking with a supposed "modern country music fan," and I used the famous Hank W Jr. "Beech Nut in the eye" line referenced above - and this "modern country music" person (who shall remain nameless so she will not be mad at me when I get home) did not even know what "Beech Nut" was. Shame!
4) Fashions in the 80s were fun but embarrasing. However, at least they covered. With all of the poofy stuff and padding, it was totally impossible to determine an 80s woman's true shape (until the "big reveal" after marriage). The 90s changed all that by either (A) turning women into lumberjacks, which made courtship and marriage and heterosexuality a moot point, or (b) practially revealing everything. Bad on both fronts.
Marc "Planet Rock" Ayers
Also, it is embarrassing to misspell "embarrassing."
Marc "Breakin': The Movie" Ayers
So true...80's hair bands were the best! 90's music was too folksy/artsy/not as much fun. Def Leopard's greatest hits is one of all time favorite CD's!!
Marc, you are confusing today's country music with 90s country music- in the 90s we had Garth Brooks, Alan Jackson, Doug Stone, Dwight Yokum and "I cross my heart" and "Carrying your love with me" by the legend George Strait. None of those guys wore tight t-shirts or had self-tanner.
AND to furthur my point on the 80s/90s pop thing- in the car today on 80s I heard "Sara- (storms are brewing in your eyes)", "Happy to be stuck with you" by my man Huey Lewis and "Thriller" then I turned to 90s and what do I hear- Beck's "Loser" and then later "Interstate Love song" by Stone Temple Pilots. It's just not the same tap-your-foot happy songs girls like. Surely men can see this?
Picture it. Opelika. May 1969. Picked up for my Jr.-Sr. prom by "Tommy Terrific". He was a mixture of Eddie Haskell and Puck from the Real World. A loser, but he didn't know it. I did. I cried before he picked me up, my sister took pictures of me to make me not totally break down. Got in his car, he cranked up the 8-track, "In a Gadda De Vida" by Iron Butterfly blaired into the night. He put his Mama's automatic drive Buick in "L". Said, "I'm gonna put dis baby in low and start her off right". All night he shifted from L, to D1 to D2.
I loved the '60's, loved the '60's music (especially Motown). But to this day, if I hear Iron Butterfly or "In a Godda De Vida", I throw up a little in my mouth.
And that's all I've got to say about that.
Ok people including El Comodoro..as someone right with Donna in the 90's and being married to an 80's man myself I totally am with Donna! Yes, I will admit I can sing every line to Gangsta's Paradise and Jeremy (we did look cute in plaid, right?) So the 90's was not a total waste and Metallic is as awesome as it gets-thanks to my brother I can appreciate good heavy metal when I hear it! All I have to say is...Electric word Life it means forever and that's a mighty long time, but I'm here to tell you there's something else.. the afterworld-a world of never ending happiness You can always see the sun-day or night So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills you know the one Dr. Everything'll be alright......CLASSIC
Hey you! Who said that?!
Baby how you been?
You say you don't know, you won't know until you begin.
Wow. I'm thinking of having this entire (awesomely awesome) comments thread tattooed on my back.
Post a Comment