Cue the lights and heavenly choirs....
You may be surprised that with our four kids, homeschooling, and bigger house I've never had help with cleaning. And frankly- I don't know what I was thinking.
I think I just assumed that I was supposed to do everything- it's my mess I should clean it. And for years, my family and even my husband have asked me to get help and I just refused- it seemed like too much work. After all I'd have to clean up BEFORE they got there and it'd probably not be worth the money and more of a hassle...excuses, excuses.
Meanwhile- Mommy was grumpy, tired, overwhelmed and just never "on top" of the house- I was always running behind trying to catch up. NO MORE! I will tell you: I cannot do it all myself. I need help and thank you, Lord, I now HAVE HELP- real help!
I walked in Wednesday afternoon as they were finishing up and the foyer rugs were rolled up and put to the side and the floor was freshly mopped. They mopped UNDER the rugs people! They vacuumed UNDER the beds and furniture. My shower is unrecognizable.
I just want you to know- I am only one woman. And the idea that I could somehow do everything well all the time was a ridiculous notion and the idea that getting help was showing weakness is equally ridiculous. And as budget conscience as I am, I really feel this is an investment in our peace and sanity and worth every penny. So friends, I implore you- If you need help- don't wait for years like I did- get help- find a way. :)
IN OTHER NEWS.....
How much do I love this right here-
This is my little guy- at my favorite time of night. After the kids are in bed, he gets a nice sponge bath and lotioned up so he smells delicious and then we cozy up in his jammies and spend a long time staring at each other while mommy sings to him. All that sweet lovin' finally wears him out- and he dozes off.
To those who thought I shouldn't have "another one"- (including you Mr. Random Waiter who told me "no more" two days ago)- I give you this- you tell me what more precious thing I could invest myself in than this right here-




8 comments:
i get this! i was in a funk last week starting school. for days i literally forgot i had laundry to do. this morning i spent a while cleaning the kitchen BEFORE i could go grocery shopping. let's not even mention the piles of coupons and magazines i need to go through or throw away. staying home is a full-time job, add school and a newborn...IMPOSSIBLE! so glad you now have HELP!
and this comment is directed towards the new angel baby portion of your post:
http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/motherhood-is-a-calling-and-where-your-children-rank
all your readers should read this short article on Piper's website.
Shelley, I LOVE that article. How blessed is our world for the loving, Christian mothers feathering their nests. They are doing more to change the world for the good than any President, Mayor, teacher, etc. They are doing more to reach souls for Christ than any evangelist...of any generation. Nothing, absolutely NOTHING affects the morality of the world as much as a loving Christian mother.
Your children shall rise and call you blessed, and the world will give thanks for your efforts.
Good for you!!! I remember Delta and I having a conversation years ago about a book she was reading that said the two biggest struggles in a stay at home mom's life are exhaustion and loneliness. I think it is a pride thing on our part to ask for help. I don't know why but I am glad you have help.
I am glad to hear from you - been thinking about how you were doing. I am sure you haven't read my blog lately but we are moving home. I will send you an email updating you soon.
Little Charlie is precious and gives me a little fever :)
He is so beautiful! We all think so!!! Can't wait to get together!
Lori
Good for you girl! Having help is key - a sign of strength. When Bronson lost his job a couple of years ago I told him we could strip our budget to the bare bones but the one thing I did not want to give up was someone to help me clean. I just can't stay on top of that with working full time and being a full time momma! Your family is beautiful and I just want to scoop that little Charlie up and get some snuggles!
Oh girl! So many thoughts...mainly, between Charlie's pics, baby Kate, baby Caroline and countless others that have been born around me in the last few months, Becca will be a lucky girl if we make it to her wedding day not expecting another! She's begged me to try to wait (so I can handle the wedding) but we all know that's like telling God, I don't think I'd like to do that right now. Um, sorry...He's ultimately in control just like He was with the last 3. Okay, that's all. Might have to stop looking at your sweet baby pics for a few months and stay away from my hubby. As for the housekeeping team, email me who you chose to use and did you have to clean beforehand? That's been my biggest battle. I've been without any help for several months now...no housekeeper, no Libby. Felt like I could do it myself...who am I kidding?! :)
And Shelley, I LOVE this article. Read it a few weeks ago, right after I'd just had an all out hissy fit. Love how God gives us exactly what we need and the encouragement to keep going! I've had a whole new outlook lately! :)
Post a Comment