Friday, May 18, 2012

Scouts and Sleepovers

Marky had his Scout "graduation" (Or whatever it's called) ceremony where he received his badge and moved up to "Bear" rank. The usual way to get the badge (and the way Daddy got them when he was young) is to turn the kid upside down and pin the badge on so that when he's right side up it's upside down. Then the scout has to do a good deed to get to turn it rightside up. Well, as soon as Marc started to turn Marky over they said, "oh we've had some complaints about that and some concerns that the kids could be dropped so we are stopping the "turning over" ceremony." Seriously? Marc said, "I think I can pick up my own child, right?" And they said, "No." America, this is scary stuff. We are taking the fun out of everything.

scouts 2
scouts 1
Sissy got to go to her first sleepover at BB's house- all by herself! This is one of the things BB and Poppy really wanted to do once they moved here- get each kid one on one for special time. First up- Sissybug. :) She is so happy. She told BB several times, "I love coming to your house" and "I love you 'over the whole world'!". :)
sissy bb 2
Poppy made her a spice cake with frosting-
sissy bb 3
Today they had a picnic on the gazebo-
sissy bb 4
sissy bb 1
sissy bb 5
And she got to go fishing too!
sissy bb 6
They caught two fish-
sissy bb 7
Sissy was going to touch them, but decided they were to "flippy floppy". :) Have fun Sissybug we miss you!
sissy bb 8

3 comments:

Jennifer McShea said...

In Girl Scouts we called it a bridging ceremony but I'm not sure if that translates to Boy Scouts. And I'm pretty sure they shouldn't tell you how to hold you kid! That would have made me SO mad!

But what sweet times for Julia! I know your parents and her will remember their special times and treasure them always!

Matt, Carrie, Lucy and Molly Allen said...

can i spend the night with bb and poppy :) that looks like so much fun! what special memories for the kids!

sagefats said...

That's a new one on me, the upside down kid bit. Must've been a regional thing. We did pin it on upside down for the good deed bit.

Of course, I was a bit "solid" when I was a child, so perhaps when I was coming through, no one wanted to risk their own personal safety by turning me upside down.

And yes, we cross a bridge in a ceremony graduating from Webelos to Boy Scouts. At least we did in my day.