Marc met us there and they let practice get out early because of the freezing temps. The three of us went out to Mellow Mushroom and had a nice dinner where we got to talk to our biggest boy. The waitress said, "does he need a kid menu?" Marc said no. I said yes. I know he's big and tough, but he's still my baby.
Marc and Marky have been this whole year reading the Lord of the Rings series at night after the littles are in bed. They started with the Hobbit and a couple nights ago they finished Return of the King. Marky actually finished Return of the King on his own when he had strep throat last week. He sat and read for hours and when Marc got home one night he said, "Daddy I went ahead and finished up." Marc drilled him on the facts and sure enough he knew even tiny details of the plot. So while we were sitting at the restaurant Marc and I checked the movie times and found one at the perfect time and Marc decided to surprise Marky with "The Hobbit" movie.
Tonight as I sat looking at my sweet boy who is growing up so fast I said to him, "Marky, Daddy is going to take you to see the Hobbit tonight". He was BESIDE himself with joy at this totally unexpected and unusual turn of events. I said, "you are getting to go because you've been such a good boy lately. The other day when you cleaned the whole den and kitchen without being asked, today at the dr.'s office where you sat quiet and patient for two hours, and every day when you patiently help me with these babies- those are good choices that help serve our family."
The I told him what Poppy always told me, "if you are good, good things happen. I said, when you make good choices Daddy and I are happy to do little extras for you. Just like when I was little and Poppy told me if I made good choices, life would be good for me (from my parents that is)."
Marky smiled and said, "yep- and you were good and so now you have four children."
I for some reason was totally caught off guard with that response and got tears in my eyes. "No, sweetie, my children are not a reward for good behavior, you are the result of God's grace to me and a precious gift I didn't deserve."
I didn't "deserve" these children, they truly are an unmerited gift, and I am touched the Marky's comments reminded me of that, but I'm even more touched that Marky has eyes to see that children are a GREAT REWARD- A GIFT- A BLESSING- not a burden. He thinks to have children is a great joy. He sees children with the eyes of Christ. When he thinks of "rewarding someone" he thinks of "giving them children." How backwards is that in this day and age where there are people who think of babies in the womb as disposable and children at home as something to merely endure? Thanks be to God for his eyes of faith.





1 comment:
chills and tears. what a precious moment with a precious boy!!!
Post a Comment