
St. Katharine Drexel was born in the 1800s and was a rich heiress. She had a very devout and generous family. While visiting Native Americans out west she had a heart for missions to them and African Americans and asked the Pope in person to send a missionary to them that she would pay for. He said, "why don't you go to them?" and thus began her life of sacrifice. She founded an order of nuns and opened up over 60 schools for minorities and the first African American Catholic college in America- Xavier University in New Orleans. At her death in 1955 at age 96 she had given over 20 million dollars to missions. Her life is a perfect example of generosity. We found a coloring page of her in my new favorite coloring book- fenestrae fidei.

In our lesson about generosity we talked about the feeding of the 5,000 and how the boy with the two fish and five loaves of bread could have looked around at the 5,000 people and said, "this is crazy- I'm not giving away my lunch- it won't be enough". But God takes what we think is not enough and MAKES it enough. Our meager giving can turn into miraculous giving IF we do our part. We have to look with eyes of faith. We also learned about the Baptism of the Lord because that was the feast day on Sunday. We ended with daisy-shaped sugar cookies and frosting!

Speaking of cookies, I've been cooking a lot more lately and baking. :) Today Julia and Tucker helped me make blueberry scones-

But to every action there is an equal and opposite reaction- if I ignore that baby for five minutes to make a snack- the baby must rearrange the spice cabinet....again. :) "Supervise me, pwease! I could be gettin into stuff!"

By the way- Tucker LOVES scones-

And the big boy has heap after heap of buttered, cheesy noodles- no sauce for him-

After praying a family rosary by the fire after supper it was time for B-I-N-G-O- the children love this- especially Tuck Tuck. But it can only be played when Charliebear is off to night night. I love Fridays at home.







No comments:
Post a Comment