Saturday, July 11, 2015

This, that and Ivy Green

Last night we drove to Tuscumbia, AL to Ivy Green- the home of Helen Keller.  I've always wanted to go- people have told me how peaceful and inspiring it is.  A few weekends of the summer they perform the Miracle Worker play on the actual Ivy Green grounds.  We were so happy to get to see it- it was WONDERFUL!  The whole time I kept thinking- this is a true, amazing story and it happened right here- on this grass- by this water pump.  I'm so glad we made the trip. 

Also, we got to see one of our favorite priests who lives up there now.  He went with us to the play last night, and then this morning he met us for breakfast and a tour of his new Parrish.




 The water pump where the darkness lifted from Helen's mind and she learned her first word. 
 
Annie and Helen's bedroom-
 











 
The actors were perfectly cast- especially Helen and Annie.  It was an emotional journey for the audience- everyone cried at the end.  :)


Charlie was wiped out!

This morning after breakfast and the tour we had a leisurely drive home stopping at antique stores and the like.

A few pictures to get off the phone from this week-

Troops of St. George meeting-  


BB's birthday was Wednesday.  I had hired a sitter to keep the kids for us to have a shopping day at the outlets, but Charliebear got sick.  Sweet Marc let us still go.  The sitter took the three older ones to Holy Hour, Chick Fil A, and the pool, while Charlie stayed home with Daddy and vegged out.  :)  Happy Birthday BB!

This summer Sissy is going to the Mathnasium.   She is enjoying it, and I hope it keeps her skills fresh over the summer.  I knew I didn't want to struggle with her math all summer- so it's a nice break for both of us!  I'm tempted to keep going during the school year.  If only I had a money tree.  :)


Steak and Shake- where every meal is a party.  :)

We also hit the plane museum and science center this week.   And that's the week!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Busy week for my precious ones.
The Helen Keller Museum and play sounded amazing. What a great heroine from whom we can all learn. The water pump almost made my heart skip, the actual point of the miracle!