They are installing a new mosaic in the center dome, thus the scaffolding.
According the the website-
Byzantine-Romanesque in style, its massive, one-of-a-kind superstructure is home to over 70 chapels and oratories that relate to the peoples, cultures and traditions that are the fabric of the Catholic faith and the mosaic of our great nation. The Basilica also houses the largest collection of contemporary ecclesiastical art on earth.
This chapel has the most famous Irish saints on each side-
We had lunch in the shrine's cafeteria. After touring the Basilica and it's crypt church and chapels we walked across the street to the St. John Paul II National Shrine. It was huge- we had never seen it before.
You couldn't take pictures in the museum section, but it was very large and impressive. I did not remember all the St. John Paul had lived through. I teared up watching the video of him being shot. And after his long life and physical struggle, his last words were, "I go now to the house of my Father."
They had a huge beautiful lawn and the children played in it for a long time. A lot of red light/green light and Simon Says. :)
We rode the metro back to town and had dinner at Ollie's Trolley. While walking to the National Mall we passed the Trump International Hotel- it's gonna be YUGE! ;)
Everyone enjoyed the Smithsonian Natural History Museum. We saw the Hope Diamond and many gems and rocks as well as animals.
Large sheet of copper-
Happy to touch a real meteorite!
Ancient Egypt is always interesting.
I was amazed at the ancient Egyptian morality- clothing the naked, feeding the hungry are corporal works of mercy and here they are listed as praise of a life well lived.
I had forgotten that mammals have special earbones. I learned something!
After the museum we headed home and had ice cream in the lobby before heading to bed.
So glad we were able to stop and smell the flowers and enjoy our nation's capitol. It was a wonderful trip!

















































No comments:
Post a Comment