Monday, August 5, 2019

Summer days, drifting away

This summer we followed Sarah Mackenzie's lead and read the Secret Garden for "Family Book Club."


We all enjoyed the book so much.  We also watched the 1987 movie on YouTube, it was the one I watched as a child and it is beautiful.  

A few friends had also read it and one suggested doing a book club day for it so I volunteered my home and we had a gathering on Friday.  It was so sweet.  All the children remembered their favorite characters and parts. We learned all about how English Robins are different from American robins, which are thrushes. (A robin is a major character in the book.)   Our teacher brought a robin's nest to look at and we listened to robin's songs.  




Then the younger children painted a craft, while the older girls did watercolors. 



This was how the adorable Robin's craft turned out-

Tucker wanted to change his bird's angle and have two eyes.  :) 

Then we had a skipping rope competition, as a skipping rope is a big point of the book. 






Tucker won the contest and got a gardening prize.  :)


We had a baked potato bar for lunch as Dickon cooked baked potatoes outside in the book.  It was a very sweet day.

That afternoon, the children and I went to the pool with the happiest little water baby.  :)


 


 

It's good to be the baby!


 


That night we had a yummy supper at home and took the baby for a walk. Afterwards I surprised the children with a trip to the see The Lion King, while Daddy kept the baby and worked.  It was an epic, awesome day with my favorite people. 


I picked the boys up from Boys Choir camp on Thursday.  They had a beautiful open rehearsal and sounded AMAZING!



 
The fun of boys choir is all around the leader, Mr. B- he is FULL of energy and knows just how to wrangle boys. 






On Saturday we hosted our Teams of our Lady couples' prayer group- we ended up having three priests join us! 


I am loving these last days of summer.






No comments: