Friday, November 28, 2008

My deliverer is coming!

I can't believe it's already advent season again! Traditionally the 12 days of Christmas are celebrated between Christmas day and the Feast of Epiphany, January 5th. Before that is advent, which is a somber, more penitential, preparation for the feast of Christmas where we wait in joyful hope. In advent and Christmas, we not only celebrate the first coming of our dear Lord, we celebrate His future coming where He will complete the deliverance of His people. This Sunday is the first Sunday in advent and we light the candle of hope. In Sunday school we teach the children the prophesy from Isaiah, "The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light." Every time we light a candle during advent we can remember Who the light of the world is. After seeing such depravity on this "black Friday" shopping day, where even a retail worker was trampled and killed by greedy mobs, I am more convinced than ever that we need a Deliverer, and we need to focus all our time and energy on HIM this advent.

Come Lord Jesus, Come be born again in our hearts!

3 comments:

--Shelley said...

Me TOO! That is what I was thinking about. I got into a depression I think when I heard stories about the greed and selfishness over Christmas presents. I know it is this way every year. I think it just gets me sadder when I think about my children picking this up as well. They are toy crazed right now. Providentially no one in their family has any money so they will get few gifts. I am excited about this. Thanks for the reminder of advent. I really want to focus on this.

christian and amanda said...

Guess what? I was just asked to play Mary for a live nativity (on the back of a truck in the town parade). I suppose last year, there were not any floats...so a lady from my church decided something had to be done. So, since Christian has a beard and I have long dark hair...brings back some CUMC memories.

Jill Williamson said...

I haven't bought one present.... just don't want to :) :) because of this. We are going through teaching of Advent too. I Love lighting the candles and thinking upon the HOPE of Jesus. thank you for this post.... loved it.