Thursday, July 23, 2009

If you don't want to potty then you should go home

Oh my goodness what a week. Marc Jr. has been in Mobile and I was supposed to be doing a potty training intensive camp with Sissybug. To say she is resistent to potty training is the biggest understatement you can imagine. TEARS, pain, drama ensue anytime we get near the bathroom. "Mommy- I too wittle...I need diapers" "I just a baby" "Pwease mommy get me diaper". I have done more positive reinforcement I can think of- I've banned T.V. and computer time until I get some action with the potty...she gets candy if she goes....we do the potty dance if she goes...she got to pick out big girl underwear she loves...the list goes on. We've sat in the bathroom for HOURS all week with me reading stories, doing stickers, singing potty songs, running the bath water, putting her hands in a bowl of water...and NOTHING. Nothing at all. Oh my goodness I'm exhausted and feel this whole week was a waste. She can't go to moms-day-out in August if she isn't potty trained...and frankly, she's certainly old enough to get this. And let me just say- I've potty trained before. Marky had NO trouble with it and caught on fast and was excited to be a big boy. I'm no novice- but I'm at a complete loss on how to make a child learn who literally falls apart in tears if you walk near the potty. Anyway, that's what I'm doing- and I would covet any happy thoughts or tips you may have.
Struggling in big-girl babyville,
Donna

7 comments:

The McNeills said...

I feel your pain. We're in this with Jake as well. One thing that has been effective is letting mine run around bare bottom. When given the choice of using the potty or making a big mess on the floor, mine usually would choose the potty. Plus, it really helps them know what's happening and when it's happening. Also, you can play in your backyard and pump them full of juice boxes in the summer. When we did that, we "gave" all the diapers to the baby, then they were no longer an option.

With my oldest, we were planning to do a little inflatable bounce house for her 3rd birthday. But we told her there were no diapers allowed inside it. She was trained within the day! Good luck!

Amy said...

Wow! EK isn't potty trained yet, but it hasn't come to tears. She might be afraid that I'd take a picture and post it on my blog. Wait, I already did that. Can I send her to your training camp for a week? Do let me know what eventually works:)

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Love you. Praying for you.
And, most importantly, sending you the ebook I used with O-man.

holly said...

get her naked and stay at home for a week. she'll mess up the carpet a few times, but eventually, she won't want to make the mess. at least that worked for us. and by the way...Hadley has been potty trained for 7 months and has had 3 accidents in the last 24 hours. I think we are going through something, but I'm tempted to put diapers BACK ON HER!

christian and amanda said...

Priya, the smarty girl, has been 60% trained for the last six months. She always poops her panties. "Next time, momma, next time i tell you." uggggg

Kris and Stacey said...

Donna...don't stress the little things in life. When she is ready try again. SHe will not graduate from high school in diapers. I just would leave it, enjoy the rest of your summer, and try again later. JUst my crazy opinion.

--Shelley said...

aww sweet stacey. that may have been the advice you needed. i don't know if you can handle accidents on the floor after last week.