
Why, you may ask, would I buy a book with dated material? Because I can't seem to escape political agendas in all the science and history books I've been getting lately. We are studying earth science this year so when he asked for this book at the McWane Center I thought "sure!". I thought he would be learning the 5 types of mountains, the three types of volcanoes, the four types of rocks, etc.- you know things ABOUT the planet earth-

The title was "See inside Planet Earth"- then why is this what I saw inside the book?


Screaming, scared penguins? Really?

Starving polar bears? For the "Inside Planet Earth" book?

Cars ruin picnics kids- tell your parents!

And of course, guess what was NOT in the book- any of the things I mentioned like the different types of rocks, mountians, etc. No mention of the difference b/w salt water and fresh water- soft and hard water- where is the SCIENCE INFO? Instead under "water" it reads, "Fish is a healthy food for people to eat. But too much fishing means some species of fish are in danger of dying out." "Fishing nets can trap and kill dolphins." Chemicals from factories seep into the water and "poison plants and animals". Geez Louise- are you trying to scare my children to death because you certainly aren't trying to teach them the science facts. Don't get me started on history books- I started using a sharpie to cross out flat out factual errors and then the whole book looked redacted.....
I tell you, I'm with Tucker- all this attention I now I have to pay to the basic books my kids are reading- wears you out!




5 comments:
craaaazzzzyyyy!
Totally maddening. Our educational system has been kidnapped by the thought police. And the thought police are insane and use faulty science and history. Science has no scientific basis and history is devoid of actual history. Who would have ever believed this would happen?
Marc sent me this site today:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8751220/David-Cameron-we-need-elitism-in-schools.html
It is about David Cameron and his ideas on education in the UK. I hope it does not take the crisis they had to change things here!
Yes, it is exhausting trying to find good books for our kids!!!!
At least we get to choose!
Thank the Good Lord above that He called us to homeschool!!!
Peace in Christ,
Lori
I had the same issue with our weather unit as well. Showed the poor polar bear fighting for his life! Arghhh! We spent a whole two days studying global warming. I think I may have gone really fast through that part! Oops!
I spent $45 on two Usborne books, sold by a mom at our co-op. I HATE one of them with a passion. Strong use of words? The beginning of the History book is all about evolution, and I mean all about evolution. Not as a theory but fact! We are not using it obviously.
Post a Comment