Monday, July 16, 2012

Life with the little professor

These next two weeks little Marc is going to Latin camp at the local college. From what I can tell from today- it's going to be awesome. I had a sitter come this afternoon and went to pick him up and take him to lunch- just the two of us. Listening to him talk almost always leaves me wonderstruck.

For instance, when Marc took him to camp this morning they put him in the "Bacchus" group. Marc, seeing a learning opportunity, said, "you know I believe Bacchus was the Roman God of wine." Without missing a beat Marky said, "yes, and the Greeks called him Dionysus." (read it somewhere)

When I picked him up from camp I asked what they learned and he said they learned all the familial terms (mater, pater, soror, frater, infans) and did skits where they asked each other their names in Latin. He said, "Quid est nomen tuum?" to me. And I said, "Meus nomen est.... Venus." :) Then I said, "wait- is Venus a Roman God or Greek?" And he said, "Mommy, remember the planets are named after Roman Gods- that can help you remember." (thanks for the tip) 

He told me that his teacher told them the story of Perseus and Medussa, "but she left a TON of stuff out- it was just a shell of a story." "She didn't tell us about the king throwing Perseus and his mother into a chest into the ocean, or the three Grey witches, or the fisherman, or the king, or the Gorgans (this is where Daddy at dinner said, "Medussa was a Gorgan" and Marky said, "yes, but she had two sisters and they weren't even mentioned."), and there was no mention of Andromeda."  I only know anything about this story myself from watching "Clash of the Titans." This boy knows all of this from his reading books- books I haven't read.

At lunch he said, "I don't want tomato on mine." and I said, "you can barely even taste tomato" and he said, "Mommy, I read that children's taste buds are more sensitive to certain tastes than adult's.  I WILL taste the tomato." I googled it- he's got a point.   Then he said, "What is an avacado?  A fruit or a vegetable?  I saw a picture of one one time and it has a big seed that looks like a nut.  Of course, nuts are seeds so I guess it doesn't matter what you call it....."  I just stared and went, "uh, huh."

I'm becoming more and more convinced that all I have to do for Marky is get him great books and keep the TV off and he will teach me things.   I just love having my very own little professor.

(I would like to add that I ran by a clothing store and he said, "can you drop me off at home?"  And I said, "then you would miss all this awesome, love-tank filling, one-on-one time with Mommy" and he said, "Why does this "love-tank filling" trip feel just like you looking for a shirt?"  :)

2 comments:

holly said...

he is precious. he reminds me of Alex but even smarter :) I took alex to the library and dropped him there for an hour while I ran errands today. He came home with 4 books. He came into my room later in the afternoon saying he finished 2 of them. love it. keep reading boys!!!

Amy said...

This is awesome. Can you email me some of the books he has read about the greek/Roman gods? I think Jake would enjoy those but I want them to be good ones. Maybe you could ask Marky to come up with a book list for boys his age. Jake is always looking for a good book. We would love his recs.