Sunday, April 13, 2008

My Shepherd Will Supply My Needs

This morning the gospel reading was John 10 where Jesus says "I am the Good Shepherd." It struck me especially because that theme of Christ as the Good Shepherd is the foundation of Marky's catechism program, of which I'm getting 90 hours of training to be a catechist. It just resonates with children- of course the sheep love the Shepherd. After all, He calls them by NAME. He leads them out to good pasture. He lays down His life for His sheep. If He loses one- He will leave the other 99 and find it, put it on His shoulders and come back rejoicing! Who are we to deserve such a Shepherd? How glorious He is! I've been walking in a bit of a dark valley lately, and it is good to know my Shepherd will always be there with goodness and mercy.

After the reading we sang My Shepherd will Supply my needs- written by Isaac Watts:

My Shepherd will supply my need,
Jehova is His name.
In pastures fresh He makes me feed,
Beside the living stream.
He brings my wand’ring spirit back,
When I forsake His ways.
And leads me for His mercy’s sake
In paths of truth and grace.
When I walk through the shades of death
Thy presence is my stay.
One word of Thy supporting breath
Drives all my fears away.
Thy hand in sight of all my foes,
Doth still my table spread.
My cup with blessings overflows,
Thine oil anoints my head.
The sure provisions of my God
Attend me all my days.
O may Thy house be my abode,
And all my work be praise.
There would I find a settled rest,
While others go and come.
No more a stranger nor a guest,
But like a child at home.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How beautiful, Donna. And how freeing--the knowledge that we have a Shepherd who will supply our needs, who knows us completely, and who lays down His life for us.

I tend to dwell in guilt when I sin and more often than I like to admit, I focus on the brokenness of the people and situations around me instead of on the hope that is in God through Christ.

You've reminded me that I do have a wonderful, gentle, strong and compassionate Savior; a Savior who isn't surprised by my sin and who isn't intimidated by the evil I see in the world. What better knowledge than to know that we have a Shepherd who understands us? And what better hope than to know that our Shepherd loves us utterly?

Thanks for your encouraging words, my friend. May our Father bless you and keep you today.

- Susan McP.

annieck said...

So beautiful and well written. How amazing that Christ would leave 99 to find that one lost sheep? How blessed are we?!
Thank you for sharing this. I can't see it enough!

holly said...

It will be such a sweet time to teach Marky's catechism. I have been teaching Alex's 1st Eucharist class this year, and those kiddos have been such a blessing to me. I'm glad they require all of that training to prepare us too! It shows how important this time is for our kids.