Saturday, April 12, 2008

What you won't see on CNN

I was reading a letter written by a soldier I know very well and thought it was so good I had to share with you guys:


Today while traveling through downtown Baghdad on top of a gun truck something happened that I have never witnessed before. There were no cars on the streets due to heightened security and children had turned the streets into a playground. Smiling and laughing as they played stick ball and rode their bicycles they waved at us, giving us thumbs ups and raising the fingers shouting "number one". Adults, both men and women, would come out of their homes as we passed and lean out the windows of their apartments and come out on their balconies cheering and waving as we drove through their neighborhood. Iraqi national police and soldiers stood proudly at their posts at attention as we drove by. Finally on the alert and in control of their homeland and unable to repress a smile at our thumbs up to them. I write this because I know you will not see it on CNN. No media will tell you of it as there is no media there. It is not the story of defeat and futileness that advances the defeatist position being sold by the media, it does not support the failure they have tied their careers and reputations to, but I WAS THERE, I AM HERE and I WILL BE HERE and I am not on CNN. What you don't see on CNN: the bombs that don't go off, the missiles that never launch, the lives that are not lost, the planes that do not fall out of the sky, the tons of explosives and thousand of mortars and hundreds of sniper rifles we take out before they kill. Good men are here fighting the good fight for good reasons. We are fighting against hate, against zealotry, and we are winning. The enemy is doing his all to inflict what loss he can and CNN promotes whatever they can to dishearten and mislead America but do not be disheartened, be proud of these truths I tell you, for right shall surely overcome all objections and once again the good guys are winning, will win and remember WE ARE THE GOOD GUYS.

Let's pray for our heros- the soldiers, the knights, the victors!

3 comments:

holly said...

Wow, thanks for this Donna! That is powerful. And he's right, if you let the media control your thoughts of this war, you can be easily misled.

LeAnne said...

AWESOME!! Thank you so much, Donna,for posting this letter. It is so moving to read/hear things from the soldier's perspective. As a military wife, I am always super grateful when others remember the troops and most importantly offer their prayers! Thank you again, Donna!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Donna!
It's Lindsey (Wilder) Garansuay. I found your blog through Annie's and I'm so thankful I read it! This is beautiful! I wish you could see something like this on CNN. Thanks for sharing!