
I've been reading this book In Defense of Childhood and have really enjoyed it. It talks aout the inner wildness that is in every child and how we have domesticated childhood so that children have very little freedom of choice or autonomy and have little time to be free to test themselves. The author thinks that children need much more freedom and exposure to risk than we allow them. Anyway, it's had me thinking a lot about getting our kids out and about and able to explore. That's why I love going to Virginia- there is room to roam and we live outside.

My grandparents gave Marky a brand-new bicycle and he loved it.

They also had this precious Mother's Day Cake made-

They got Julia a scooter and a helmet that she wouldn't take off.

Kids need so much more downtime than they get. The kids love going to Virginia and just hanging out.

In other news- when we got there Memaw surprised me with a new SEWING MACHINE! I've never sewed so much as a button, but she sat with me and showed me how. She had gotten some fabric and patterns and helped me make this dress for Julia (complete with ruffle hem and pocket). it's definitely not "easy", but it's not nearly as hard as I thought. I really think I'll be able to do some simple things now.

Also- Tuckerboy is teething (early) and living with his little hands in his mouth. He is adorable!

He totally won over his great-grandparents. They are smitten!
4 comments:
i LOVE that you got a sewing machine! i don't think i would do a ton of sewing but i would like to be able to do some simple things from time to time. this is a great post and is SOOOO true about kids needing more time outside! am i the only one that was sent outside for the DAY when i was little?? it's just so hard these days...the world is definitely not the same place as when we were little!
Oh Donna, it is great to hear you agree with the whole explore/take risk thing. Dr. Dobson said once that he took his grandchild to the park for the first time and he saw the benches lining the boundry of the park and thought to himself that this is where the adults must sit. Then he looked and they were all empty and when he found the parents they were all hovering around the play area making sure their child did not get hurt. He said that we shelter our children from pain too much and it hinders them in several ways. 1. It squashes their spirit of adventure which flows over into all areas of life. 2. It does not allow them the opportunity to learn to cope with failure. He contributes the rise in teen suicide to this hovering factor. He said teens are experiencing failure for the first times as teens and they don't know how to cope with it.
My dad gave me an article a while ago that talked about his generation and how they were just sent out into the yard to play and explore and they often didn't come home until dinner. It said that they had more stitches, broken bones, cuts and scrapes but from their generation we have experienced the most innovation the world has ever seen. They have creative minds that were allowed to explore to their fullest potential. This is one of the biggest reasons that I am such a fan of Charlotte Mason type schooling. She is a big advocate for outside play. Anyway, sorry this is so long - it is just one of my soapboxes. Oh and for Mark and Tucker you should read wild at heart!!!!
WOW for the sewing machine! AWESOME! And a lesson from your g'ma? Now that is special.
I've heard about that book and it looks great. I might have to check into it.
So sorry for the teething. It had to happen sooner or later, though. I'm so glad y'all are enjoying your visit!
Um, how could I forget that cake?? AMAZING! How could you eat it? Did you eat your own head or one of your children's??
Post a Comment