Monday, May 25, 2009

I thought I loved you then....

So here we are at our anniversary- EIGHT years ago, May 26, 2001, we were married. I know you all know I'm crazy about my husband- he's just the most amazing man. I heard that new Brad Paisley song, "I thought I loved you then" for the first time in the car yesterday and started crying. Marc would say that I will cry at just about anything sentimental and that's really true. But that song just rang so true to me. Here I was eight years ago- 22 years old. I was so excited to be getting married, but I still had my sassy single self to deal with. I was in law school and on top of the world and was excited to be with Marc, but I didn't need him. I loved him, but I was an independent entity. And now eight years, three kids, one dog, two houses later we are ONE. Period. We are an indivisible unit and I cannot be without him- I don't even know who I am without him now. It's really like our wedding band says, God joined us. He is my best friend, comic relief, shoulder to cry on, protector, defender, counselor and cuddler. Thank you Lord for making us one and please keep us one in You.

P.S. Marc always makes fun of this picture and says the caption should read "MY DAY!" He said he could barely keep up with me. :)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hesitated to bring this up...but do you see me in the left hand corner..yes, that's my large marge arm...right after this picture was taken, I was nailed with that bouquet. love you.

Donna said...

I almost said it myself but thought you'd want to remain incognito. And yes- I threw my boquet all up in your face!

El Comodoro said...

Nice job and congrats, y'all! I'll forgive you the Brad Paisley (yech, yech, patooey!) reference to make your great point. And the cuddler reference. I'm forgiving that, too.

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Dang! I wish I was in that picture! Loved your wedding and it was a beautiful day! Even better that your marriage is just as beautiful! Love you and congrats to you and Marc with a C (the ladder for just hanging on...! ha!)
Happy 8!

Amy said...

happy Day!!! This post made me cry. Think I am just missing John. It really is amazing what God does in a marriage. It is even more amazing that He is making us one in Him as well. I hope you guys have a great day!!!

BB said...

Donna...my precious, sweet Donna. I always dreaded the day my only child would marry. The sun has always risen and set for me with you. But, that was before you gave us Marc..the best son-in-love any mother could have. Happy anniversary, my angel. I love you both taller than the sky.

Amy said...

I do remember your wedding day...such a radiant bride. I love the picture! This is such a beautiful post of what marriage can and should be. You are each blessed to have the other.

B-Mama said...

Happy 8th Anniversary! Hope you all enjoyed a great celebration. Love the pic--you look beyond radiant; Marc looks spent! :)

The McNeills said...

I love that song too. Happy 8 years!

Lindsey said...

happy day to you guys. i love that picture... looks like marc was having a hard time keeping up with you:). and yes, i remember you and some of the other "CO gang" being in that Lit class. good times.

Fran said...

Hi Donna,
Your mother shares you with me from time to time, and she sent me the link to your blog so I could read this beautiful entry. She knew I would so appreciate it! Through Becky, I followed your love story up to your wedding and of course I have watched your family grow through her pictures over the past 6 years! It just does a heart good to see love like this! Your children are all adorable and I have enjoyed every picture Becky has ever sent to me! Since I was here "visiting", it seemed only right that I say hello!
Blessings on your family!
Fran McCurry
(Your Mama's OHS classmate and lifelong friend)

Kris and Stacey said...

I remember you came busting out and were leaving Marc. Christin and I were laughing so hard. I so know how you feel about your hubby. Kris and I just celebrated 9 years and I cannot imagine being apart from him. There have been so many things happen in our life that have certainly bonded us. By the way, I just read your mom's comment and I am now crying. I love her!!!!

annieck said...

What a great post! Happy eight years, Donna! :)
LOVE the picture. It's beautiful!

--Shelley said...

yall are absolutely perfect for one another. love you both.

Rachael said...

Donna - you are amazing! Thanks. I try to keep up with everyone and as you can see I am a little behind and trying to see whats going on with everyone these days. I just read this post and it's beautiful. It's so encouraging to see marriages like yours. Thanks for sharing this with us and allowing God to speak through your life.