Monday, August 3, 2009

Six and a half hours


...that's how long Juliabug sat on the potty tonight. After playing outside in the baby pool I dressed her in underwear and then had a brilliant idea. We have a tiny potty that we hadn't tried with her yet. I had been using the "seat on top of the big potty" method that worked with Marky. Well, I put her on the "wittle potty" and she liked it much, much better and kept telling me I was too big to use it. Thanks.

Anyway, as she, Marky and I sat in the bathroom reading books and waiting...and waiting....and waiting...Tuckerman woke up and we had to go to plan B- there's just no room for the four of us. So I realized I could put the "wittle potty" in the den and let her watch t.v. and surely something would happen, right? I put her on there at 3:00 after she had not had a diaper on for a few hours. By the time Marc got home from work at 5:45 I said, "she has been on there over 2 1/2 hours- any minute she will break". She was happy, happy and just sat and watched Noggin and then read some books.

For supper I took her meal and sat it beside her (didn't want to break up our progress), then we waited some more. NOTHING! Eventually we put Tucker and Marky to bed and she stayed sitting on this thing longer and longer. The whole time she was drinking water- in fact, she had gone through 2 sippy cups and NOTHING. Then I got the bowl of warm, bubbly water to put her hands in around 8:45- nothing. Marc and I were praying and waiting and realized we couldn't give up or all those hours would be a complete waste. She was happy as a clam and watched a potty training video a couple times and we read more books.

Finally around 9:20 she looked really uncomfortable and started crying that she needed a diaper. We talked about how much fun it was to be big and all the great things she would get once she did it (dance, sucker, piece of pie, pajamas on, more stories) and she started screaming. I was about to give up and stood up to walk off and Marc took over and held her hands and said "you can do it" over and over and finally through the tears and major drama she went potty.

Oh my goodness. I was almost in tears wondering if we had pushed her too far, but after she went she was SO EXCITED. She smiled, we all danced, her stuffed animals danced, we got her pajamas, a piece of lemon pie, a sucker and watched yo gabba gabba (yes, at 9:35). We went on and on about how proud we were and she said she was happy and was going to use the "wittle potty" in the morning. Please, please, let her use it. I can't do 6 hours again. I really can't. Hopefully we've torn down a wall that will make this process get on track. I'm just saying...that little girl make look like a smiley sack of sweetness, but she has got an iron constitution and is apparently quite stubborn when she feels like it!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

yeah Julia!!! I am so proud of you!! you too Donna! I'll be praying for you guys tomorrow!
Julie

BB said...

Well, I've got a little tear of joy perched on the edge of my lower eyelid. So proud of you all!

Jennifer said...

yeah!!! I hope the success continues!

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

OH MY WORD!! That is wild!! I think someone might have their mother's "iron constitution". I'm not saying who we're talking about here... just saying.

Your mother and her little tear made me snort. Thanks, BB!

The Dettling's said...

Okay, so I'm tearing up just reading this! Yay for Julia, but oh my...is this what we're in for?! We're still going to wait until around spring, but mainly because he screams when I've even tried to bring him near the potty. At least he's starting to become interested when we go walking around saying "tee-tee"...ha, ha!

holly said...

hmmmm....there may be a picture of julia in the dictionary next to the word stubborn! love it...she'll be a strong woman!