Monday, April 23, 2012

Little Flowers- Humility

We had our May Little Flowers group today and learned about St. Catherine Laboure, the miraculous medal, the virtue of humility and the flower the violet.  There is a poem about the humble violet written by Jane Taylor-

Down in a green and shady bed,
A modest violet grew;
Its stalk was bent, it hung its head
As if to hide from view.
And yet it was a lovely flower,
Its colour bright and fair;
It might have graced a rosy bower,
Instead of hiding there.

Yet thus it was content to bloom,
In modest tints arrayed;
And there diffused a sweet perfume,
Within the silent shade.

Then let me to the valley go
This pretty flower to see;
That I may also learn to grow
In sweet humility

We began by coloring a picture of the miraculous medal and learning about the life of St. Catherine Laboure
IMG_4090

IMG_4089

Then we talked about humility- I used this lesson I found online to illustrate the point- you draw the pieces of the girls one at a time- proud eyes see fault, humble eyes see God, proud mouths brag on themselves, humbles mouths point to God,etc. And the proud girl loses the relationships around her and ends up alone- the humble girl is a blessing to other people and they love to be around her. (And those are boxing gloves on the proud girl- she uses her arms to be mean and combative, the humble girl has a flower and brings joy and peace where she goes. The proud girls stomps her feet and won't yeild- the humble girl runs to help others...)
IMG_4091 IMG_4087 IMG_4092

The girls worked on their humility notebook pages- IMG_4088 IMG_4095

Then we had our tea time- I tried to make sugar cookies with blue icing of the miraculous medal- but it all ran together, oh well- IMG_4094 They still tasted good! IMG_4093

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you made it clear those were boxing gloves on the one stick figure...for a moment there I thought that was a picture of you and julia....you know what I mean....:)