Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thursday ramblings....

Lately, if I "lose" Tucker I know where to find him- reading books in my bathtub (no water- fully clothed). It started when he and Julia used to get in there while I got ready and she would read books to him, but now he just goes and sits in there to "read" by himself- almost everyday. It is so precious- sometimes you just need to get in the bath to get away from the hustle and bustle....
tucker bathtub

In other news- I love, love, love this post about homeschooling that my friend sent me. It really sums up a lot of how I feel about it. Julia is really in on things now (she's giving up her nap I guess) and she is just thriving. She would do 20 preschool worksheets a day if I would let her. After we read or do an activity she looks and says, "now what?", while Marky says, "are we done yet?" :) (To be fair she is circling "which one doesn't belong" and he is doing math flashcards- they are in no way the same amount of fun). Still, I love her happy little enthusiasm.

Marky continues to keep me in wonder- latest quotes:

Reading about a saint who had water part for him I said, "what Bible story does that remind you of?" and he enthusiastically said, "oh, Elijah! The water parted for him when he struck it with his cloak and then did again for Elisha on the way back to show he had received Elijah's power". Okay- I was expecting Red Sea, but I'll take Elijah.

Passing a water feature in a lake I said, "what water feature does that look like?" and Marc said, "a geyser". I said, "great!" Then he proceeds, "of course that one is not nearly as big as Old Faithful at Yellowstone, I read once that it can be 5 to 10 school buses high and this one could only be 2 or 3 school buses high, right Mommy?" Sure. ???

Even if I read as much as he does, I don't think my old, tired brain can retain the info that his can. Young spongy brains are a marvel. We have to be good stewards of them.

Along those lines we are limiting our Pixar movies. I don't know why- but for some reason my kids totally obsess over them and get hyper and quit reading when they watch them (even though I generally like them and they aren't objectionable). When Megamind hit our home it was like a whirlwind and I don't think they read books for a week and they asked me about 10 times a day to watch it again. Now when we watch the slow, sweet Mary Poppins or Tigger movie or a simple 30 minute show I don't get these reactions. I have no idea why- it's just something I've observed and am looking out for. Has anyone else noticed this obsessive, hyperactive phenomenon with the fast-paced shows?

Speaking of Mary Poppins, I hear Sissy tromping through the house singing, "just a BOX full of sugar helps the medicine go down..."...a box of sugar, that is SO SISSY- my sugar monster. Meanwhile little brother likes "step in time, step in time" and Marky replayed the "feed the birds" song several times- their favorite song choices totally reflect their personalities. I remember crying the first time I saw the "feed the birds" part of Mary Poppins- it really is a BEAUTIFUL song- Can you believe these words were in a Disney movie, "All around the cathedral the saints and apostles, Look down as she sells her wares, Although you can't see it, You know they are smiling, Each time someone shows that he cares."

3 comments:

BB said...

Rub a dub dub
sweet boy in the tub!

Anonymous said...

I was just thinking about movies tonight. I was going to put in "The Emperor's New Groove" tonight for the kids to try out since they've never seen it. Gabe looked at the cover & said I don't want to watch this, Momma. Can we watch Imagination Movers? Ommm, yes! Of course! I don't know why I feel the need to make my kids watch Disney/Pixar movies when I don't think they're the best for their little brains & imaginations. I'd much prefer Movers, Curious George, Veggie Tales, etc...& I'm glad they do too!! BTW...that Marky is absolutely ridiculoulsy brilliant!! I would be in BIG trouble if he were mine! I think he would just look at me & wonder why I never knew any of the answers to his questions!!

Amy said...

I would love to sit in your bathtub and read a book. Could I schedule that?