Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Bursting literary scene and little professor

Remember a few posts ago how Marky was just dying to "write a story" on the computer last Friday and did?  Well, now the story writing bug has hit the whole house and everyone is coming up with ideas.  Today I took Marc to the dentist after school and then we did homework.  After all that he and Julia still begged me to let them work on the computer so Julia could write a story.  She sat and told her story and Marky typed it up.  So precious.

20131008_185349

Here she is reading it after dinner-



Marky got a binder filled with plastic page covers and made a cover page for it.  They will use it for all their stories.  :)

20131008_185415

20131008_200021

Speaking of my little professor...

Tonight while we were studying for a science quiz he told me a story from school.  They were talking about how animals' bodies are adapted to their environments.  They were talking about a duck-billed platypus and the teacher said, "each of his five senses are just right for the environment he is in."

Marky, "Yes, but you know they actually have more like 6 senses."

Awkward pause.

Teacher:  "I have never heard that.  I'm not sure there is a 6th sense"

Marky:  "Well, in their bill they have an ability to sense out their prey like you would using a radar- it's using an electrical field."

Teacher:  "That's interesting.  Let's move on."

When Marky was telling me the story he said, "I don't think she had ever heard of that and the kids thought I was making it up."  Mommy also thought it sounded crazy, but I've learned that Marky doesn't say anything he doesn't know so I looked it up.  And SURE ENOUGH- the platypus have electroreception, which is a 6th sense.  I asked him how he knew that and he said he "saw it on some show sometime."  Unbelievable.

National Geographic explains:

1 comment:

Jennifer McShea said...

Haha! I would have responded the same way his teacher did. He should provide her with some info so she can be on the up and up the next time a genius student comes through her door.