Friday, February 7, 2014

First White House of the Confederacy and Archives

Yesterday I had a doctor's appointment in Montgomery (I had a great doctor there and never wanted to change so I drive back).  The little boys went to Moms Day Out and the older children went with me.  I felt bad for them sitting in the car for so long (although we did listen to a grammar cd, watched history dvds, and they did math facts on their flashmasters so we weren't totally abandonning school!).   Anyway, when I finally got out of the doctor's appointment I tried to think of somewhere we could go to make the trip more worth it.  First stop- our favorite place- Country's BBQ.  Then, we decided to run by the First White House of the Confederacy and the Alabama Department of Archives and History!




I didn't realize that the great seal for the Confederate States of America had George Washington on it as well as the agricultural products from the south.  Deo Vindice was "Under God, our Vindicator"-

It was a gorgeous, 7-bedroom home with huge rooms and ornate decorations.


All of Jefferson Davis's children slept in this gorgeous crib.





I will say, the archive museums were awesome- we will definitely go back some day (they were doing construction on part of it).  When we saw this long hallway with these images of French Settlers, Marky immediately said, "oh, that must be the Vine and Olive Colony".   He was right- and I learned all about it.

Definitely a fun day and we will do it again.

2 comments:

BB said...

Gosh, I love that. I haven't been in so long, it makes ME want to go again. Marky has taught me so much, I think I'd appreciate what I'm seeing more.
The Vine and Olive Colony???? Again, I may know more of what I'm seeing now!

Jennifer McShea said...

I would have pretended to be excited about the White House and Museum, but really Country's would have been the best part of the trip for me. :)